ANSWERED - Location of Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the planning stages for rewiring a 100 year old house with 60 year old electrics :eek:

We're trying to lay out a wish list plan of where to put sockets, etc since the whole thing needs to be ripped out a started again.

The fuse boxes are currently above the back door which will pose a problem with rewiring since there is no easy access to the space above the ceiling in this area...fine for the wires to connect the consumer unit to the meter but not for the 12 circuits we need.

Can the consumer unit be installed a distance away from the electric meter? If so, how close should it be while still being safe? We hope to be able to move it to the understairs cupboard which is probably 5 or 6 feet away from the meter.

Before you tell me to ask an electrician...we've had the ONLY two electricians in the area in for a quote and neither want the work. We're left with no choice but to do this ourselves and then get it all checked by a competent person...which oddly they said they would do - just didn't want to do the dirty work....must be too busy :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can easily put the new CU a couple of metres from the meter. You will be proving new 25mm tails anyway.

Pay no attention to the location of the old CU - it is easier to put in a whole new installation than to try to match up to the old one.

On your last point - if it is not being installed by an electrician who is a member of an approved self-certification scheme, then you need to notify it to the Building control office at your local council. they should have some leaflets. They will probably also be quite helpful at answering questions - they are usually keen for it to be done correctly.

There will be a charge for plans/inspection/test but it should be quite reasonable. Some councils try to avoid their responsibility for testing and try to get you to pay someone else to do it.

Have a look at the top of this Forum for the Wiki and the Sticky and look for "Part P."

Thanks,

I didn't realise this before today but since we're in Scotland Part P doesn't apply. Although we have digested parts P, A, and M of the building regs to get an understanding of the requirements.

My understanding is in Scotland that some electrical installations require a building warrant but according to http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/pdfs/Electrical Guidance for Verifiers 29Mar06.pdf ours doesn't (2 storey house rewire).

We're not going to reconnect the consumer unit ourselves as the electricity supplier has said they will do this due to some emergency work carried out a couple of weeks ago to make the system safe - previously there was no fuse and wires were direct into the main 100A fuse :eek: :rolleyes:

So with that in mind really I want to make sure that when they come to connect the consumer unit to the meter they won't tell us to move it because it's in a silly place.

John,

For some reason I completely missed your first two sentences when I first read your response.

Thanks this is just what I need.

Sponsored Links
ziggs21 said:
John,
For some reason I completely missed your first two sentences when I first read your response.
that's because I added more text in an "edit" as I thought longer :LOL:

Some people like to put a 100A DP switch close to the meter, so that the tails going on to the CU can be isolated safely (e.g. if you need to work on the CU, or re-route the tails). The switch/isolator only costs a few pounds, with its enclosure. Here is an example:
POL_0031.jpg

The MEM used here has a little hatch in the enclosure so that you can reach the "load" side terminals and add/remove the tails without removing the rest of the cover and exposing the live Supply terminals.

Your new tails must be in 25mm for a 100A supply.

That's what the electricity supplier added for us along with a few other sealed fuses for the circuits that were previously directly into the meter. Because he sealed it he said just to call and they would come and connect the new CU.

When we arrived at the house (just moved in) we couldn't switch the power off...none of the fuse boxes seem to work. Why it's not gone on fire yet is anybody's guess.

I note screwfix sells 25mm tails in 5m lengths so I guess anything up to 5m away is fine?

ziggs21 said:
... I guess anything up to 5m away is fine?

Not exactly, the Electricity Supplier may have their own rules (or they may not care). 2 metres is generally considered no prob. Remember to extend the 16mm main earth as well.

JohnD said:
Remember to extend the 16mm main earth as well.

Wouldn't be hard as there isn't currently an earth wire or any bonding :eek:

I'll check with the power company on their rules.

Thanks for all your help.

Have found out that ScottishPower require a maximum meter tail length of 3 metres.

Just thought I'd post the answer in case anyone else is looking for this information

ziggs21 said:
That's what the electricity supplier added for us along with a few other sealed fuses for the circuits that were previously directly into the meter.
Thems not fuses! Them's Henley blocks! They are used to split the tails from the meter, for multiple consumer units. You only have one fuse. That big black 100A one hanging off the main cable. The only other fuses are yours - inside the consumer units. Up to the entry to the CU, all wiring should be rated to 100A.

Hmmm, now I'm not sure. I can't picture it in my head. It doesn't look much like John's picture. I'm sure he said he'd installed fuses but he may have been talking about the 100A switchfuse.

I'll take a photo tonight. If nothing else it'll give you a right good laugh at the state of the wiring. :LOL:

securespark said:
This is much better than yours, John!!!!!

It's certainly a lot more modern :)

(but that's not "mine" in the pic)

Ah-ha!

So you make a habit of going round photographing other people's isolation switches, do you?

You DP perv., you!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back