Anti-freeze testers, same for blue and red?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering since different alcohols are used in blue and red, are the specific gravities different so needing a suitable tester ?

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty certain you'll be fine with the same one for either. As I understand it, I think pretty much all antifreeze these days is ethylene glycol. The additives to prevent corrosion and lubricate things varies with the colour of the antifreeze, but the basic stuff that stops it from freezing is the same.

Sponsored Links
Haven't they stopped using ethylene glycol as it's a poison?

I suspect ethylene glycol is still the main base material........ one product I have claims to be a carboxylate solution, another contains ethanediol so gawd knows.
John :)

There are companies selling propylene glycol-based antifreezes, which are substantially less toxic than ethylene glycol. Popular for boat engines. However, I don't think the car industry has adopted it yet.

Isn't OAT a phrase used about antifreeze? Think it stands for Organic Acid Technology whatever that means

Yes, that's the additive package. OAT is the latest "5 year" stuff that modern cars use. It's no good for cars with any copper or brass in the cooling system though. The older stuff is "IAT" (Inorganic Additive Technology) which is the older (and cheaper!) "2 year" stuff. I'm pretty certain that both are ethylene glycol based though.

ref:OAT is the latest "5 year" stuff that modern cars use. It's no good for cars with any copper or brass in the cooling system though.

Does anyone know if there's copper or brass in the cooling system of a 2009 Hyundai i20 petrol ?

I was going to put Autochem Red Longlife in which does contain OAT!

Sponsored Links
Back