Anti mould sealer for shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone, what sealer do you recommend for around the tray of my walk in shower?

Don’t mind paying out for something that will keep the mould spots at bay

Sponsored Links
Never found a sealant that won’t go moldy if it’s not kept reasonably dry and well ventilated.

Last edited:
Just been reading up on this as I'm doing my own shower project. Dow Corning 785+ seems to get a few recommendations so that is what I'm going with at the moment.

Sponsored Links
I've had Screwfix own brand in my new (5yr old) bathroom for five years now and there isn't a spot of mould anywhere.
I wish I could say the same for the expensive Dow Corning stuff that the guys used when fitting my new windows.

I've used this in our bathroom, easy to work with and no mould yet (1 year in).

42139.jpg

The 'No Nonsense' Screwfix silicone is great and reasonably priced. Please don't go near B&Q's own brand silicone, I used it to seal our shower and went on holiday for a week. When we returned and I had a shower it turned into toothpaste as soon as the water touched it. You won't beat Screwfix' own brand.

Drying thoroughly after every use will go a long way. Easier said than done though when other occupants of the household don't get it!

The 'No Nonsense' Screwfix silicone is great and reasonably priced. Please don't go near B&Q's own brand silicone, I used it to seal our shower and went on holiday for a week. When we returned and I had a shower it turned into toothpaste as soon as the water touched it. You won't beat Screwfix' own brand.

I've used their Black and Brown silicone and it's really good, especially for the price.

It's identical stuff. They've just repackaged it.

I've had Screwfix own brand in myhave new (5yr old) bathroom for five years now and there isn't a spot of mould anywhere.
I wish I could say the same for the expensive Dow Corning stuff that the guys used when fitting my new windows.

But did they use the DC sanitary silicone?

And why are the interiors of your windows getting so wet that mold is an issue?

Might it be the case that your windows are more prone to ambient moisture than the rest of your bathroom?

i.e. the two different silicones subjected to different tolerances will exhibit different qualities.

I was told that it's the micro beads in the shower gel that the mould sticks to.
We all dry the shower out every time, ventilate the bathroom, and run the extractor for five mins afterwards.
And yet every sealant I've tried goes mouldy, sometimes within months.
(Cutting it out and redoing is a job for the next week or so!)

But did they use the DC sanitary silicone?

And why are the interiors of your windows getting so wet that mold is an issue?

Might it be the case that your windows are more prone to ambient moisture than the rest of your bathroom?

i.e. the two different silicones subjected to different tolerances will exhibit different qualities.

I didn't say that the interiors of my windows get so wet.
It doesn't require that for mould to form.

Mould needs moisture to grow.

I have seen quite a few small bathrooms where the same silicone was used throughout. The only evidence of mould was on the windows (because of the condensation).

Exactly, moisture, condensation. Neither of these things constitute "so wet".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back