Ants in Gap around edge of screened floor where skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We've had a screed floor poured in our extension. A 0.5mm gap has been left around the perimeter, I presume this is a measure to avoid damp?

Most of the room has skirting boards fitted, but one section where there will eventually be a kitchen (and no skirting board) seems to have a few Ants walking about. Not loads, typically 4 or 5 along the 6m stretch. Been there for a few days now.

Do I ignore this? Ant killer? Some sort of sealant? Bit which doesn't create conditions for damp?

Grateful for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_20190304_084100.jpg
    IMG_20190304_084100.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 193
Sponsored Links
You could apply decorator's caulk or similar to the gap, having first put down ant powder

That should also deal with the ants, unless they are entering the floor from elsewhere.

There appears to be a membrane under the screed, this is to keep out damp not to ventilate the area so closing the gap should bo ok as long as the adjoining floor - if it is suspended - remains ventilated.

I imagine the gap (surely 0.5 cm not mm) is there after the "shuttering" was removed.

Blup

Thank-you. Does it matter what side of the membrane I apply the caulk? Or over both sides? And to be clear, there is no risk in bridging the wall an the floor with the caulk?

Sponsored Links
If the screed has been properly protected when laid and is allowed to dry out, there shouldn't be a problem. From my perspective as a DIYER modern building methods should mean moisture, if any, transferring from screed to plaster will be either minimal or will dry out.

Remember that the wall should have a dpc with which the floor membrane laps.

But seek professional advice if you are in any doubt

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back