Any advice for best way to repair this wooden bed frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20220105_092348.jpg 20220105_092355.jpg 20220105_092402.jpg

Sorry if this is the wrong sub for this. I'm wondering if anyone has any good advice for how-to fix this? The bed slay has completely broken off, as has the support bracket which spans across the middle of the bed frame (it's a single bed).

Buying a new one isn't really an option right now so any tips on best way to repair this would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
what the hell happened?!

I would carefully cut the damaged part out using vertical cuts. If necessary use extra screws to secure the wood on each side first.
Then cut a new piece of timber as a good tight fit to fill the gap.
Plenty of glue and screws - maybe even buy a repair strip made of perforated metal to bridge the gap.

Then drill new dowel holes, starting with pilot holes to ensure correct placement.

what the hell happened?!

I would carefully cut the damaged part out using vertical cuts. If necessary use extra screws to secure the wood on each side first.
Then cut a new piece of timber as a good tight fit to fill the gap.
Plenty of glue and screws - maybe even buy a repair strip made of perforated metal to bridge the gap.

Then drill new dowel holes, starting with pilot holes to ensure correct placement.

No idea how I managed to break it (I like to think I'm not *that* heavy!), I just got up from it this morning and heard a crack.

OK cheers, I'll cut the damaged section out and try to source a bit of timber to put in its place. Cheers

Replacement piece of timber doesn't need to be exact size, as long as it's lined up with the rest.
Stating the obvious, i know, but you might avoid having to slice and/or trying to find exact size.

Sponsored Links
Just a timber across face of damaged area and cut back spanning timber to fit .

Cheers for that. In that case I'd basically remove the dowels from the (cut back) spanning timber and secure with angle bracket only?

Cheers for that. In that case I'd basically remove the dowels from the (cut back) spanning timber and secure with angle bracket only?
Yes , you could ad extra bracket , the spanning timber is there to prevent spread and slats falling out.

It's a bed frame under the mattress. Do whatever is easy to make it strong. Brackets, extra wood. As long as it works, no-one will ever see it

this is the best idea in my opinion, at least 2x1" about 12" solid [fully touching ] each side glue and screw each side but assume the glue may fail so sufficient screws [three or 4 each side ]
you will off course have to trim the cross support by about 20mm ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back