Any chance of a quick hint thermo (or other!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've started on my deck project which seems to be going rather well. Decking is a first for me and i was hoping for a little "direction".

The area is approx 7m wide (garden span) on two levels. the higer being only the joists layed on top of the lower level. this height is is about 3X2.75, the lower being 4m deepX the rest of the span.

At the front i have put 100x100x1800 posts in concrete about a foot down (so nice an secure) - now for the direction->

Because i want to finish up with the end of the board, the planks AND the posts fush up to the edge, i've notced the post and laied in the joist, obviously at the corners the same happens so you end up with 100mm of 50x50 supporting the top of the post. and at the point where the level changes it becomes 200mm of 50x50 holding the top of the post.

Although I'm happy that the weight of all this is sat squarely on the bottom of the post - and the tops are quite happy - I dont want, and am quite conscious that if i smack the top end of the post it'll come off.

Is there a way to strengthen the top of the post up a bit or will this be ok once the hand rail is put in? there are two of these running parallel, but are of set slightly, where the step onto the deck is...

Also, what's the best way to attach the internal joists to the outer frame, i've got loads of 80x5 screws, and 100x6.3 timber screws with hex heads. outer joists are coach bolted to the posts.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back