Any experience with Electric Radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone is using electric radiators at the moment, we have a small holiday home which is being renovated and we plan to have a new heating system fitted. The rooms aren't very big and a friend mentioned they had changed to an electric heating system, saying they they are more controllable & economical, no pipes etc.. Are they really as effective as gas central heating? I'm a bit of novice in this area, so any advice on general running costs would be great.

Sponsored Links
I had a few some years back and they were great! Individual controls on each.

Depends how much/how often you want the place heated. Electric heaters are good for occasional short bursts in 1 or 2 rooms. Gas is currently 4p/kwh (on mains, bottled is dearer), electricity generally 4 times that so the more heat you use, the faster your increased running costs will outweigh the capital savings. Consider ashp, grant & subsidy might make it viable

I'm a bit of novice in this area, so any advice on general running costs would be great.

Compared to gas central heating, Kw for Kw electric heating to the same temperature will cost you four times as much to actaully run. The big advantage of conventional electric is it is just plug in and go.

Sponsored Links
Central heating is as the name implies a central unit heating the whole home, electric heaters are not central heating, they are individual heaters, and in some cases that can be better, we spend a lot of money trying to control rooms individually with central heating systems, programmable TRV (thermostat radiator valve) heads for example, and with this house with 14 areas to heat and a wifi linked TRV head costing £50 one can spend £1000 on the control system, so selecting heating as an when required may be a better option.

In the main I go on holiday in the summer, so don't use heating much, so depends when the home is used and how often.

Compared to gas central heating, Kw for Kw electric heating to the same temperature will cost you four times as much to actaully run. The big advantage of conventional electric is it is just plug in and go.
And requires minimal maintenance, when it does its usually an easy fix or swap

I had four, one medium size in 2 bedrooms and another medium size with a bigger one in the lounge area, roughly speaking they came on for a couple of hours in the morning and again for five hours in the evening winter time. They had a water clyco water mix in them and cost wise to run was acceptable.
To have them in a holiday home coming on/off for a few hours compared to the cost of a boiler and pipes install plus servicing costs makes sense.

I had four, one medium size in 2 bedrooms and another medium size with a bigger one in the lounge area, roughly speaking they came on for a couple of hours in the morning and again for five hours in the evening winter time. They had a water clyco water mix in them and cost wise to run was acceptable.
To have them in a holiday home coming on/off for a few hours compared to the cost of a boiler and pipes install plus servicing costs makes sense.

Yes, this was our thinking. It's a lot more money to outlay in costs of a boiler, new pipes etc. Being able to just plug in & go... then programme to blast for a few hours if definitely appealing. I see a lot can be controlled via WiFi apps too. Guess I need to do the calculations per room for the best KW output.

Cant remember who I used now but they advised based on room size for me however I did go for the next size up on all of them but thats just me.

Cant remember who I used now but they advised based on room size for me however I did go for the next size up on all of them but thats just me.

Most BTU calculators are recommending 1500w but yeah I'm tempted to go to a 2000w to be sure. I had a look at a few styles, these seem to be the style of like to opt for, some look a bit too modern but I like a more traditional look. https://www.electricradiatorshop.co.uk/electric-radiators/radiators-by-brand/digi-line-radiators

Always remember despite what the sales guff is, electric heaters are all 100% efficient or very close to it

They look much like I had however a quick look at the link didnt throw up any waranty period and be warned they are heavy, I brought small adjustable legs from fleabay to put underneath mine for peace of mind.

They look much like I had however a quick look at the link didnt throw up any waranty period and be warned they are heavy, I brought small adjustable legs from fleabay to put underneath mine for peace of mind.

Good advice, thanks for that. I looked at traditional & slimline styles, didn't take into consideration the weight.

I would not have thought the heaters in your link are very heavy, they are shown wall mounted, as you say a lot of these can be controlled via an App as they have 24 hour supply.
The heavy units are usually Storage heaters and are floor standing, these tend to mainly have power at set Off peak times, though dual units do have a back up heater within for 24 hour use

Surprised no one's mentioned heat pumps/split type air conditioning with a heating mode.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back