Any idea what this finish is on the walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hi

I hope I'm in the right group, maybe this falls under building - not sure.

To able to re-tile a bathroom, I used a heat gun to remove B&Q type white adhesive,
so I have a smooth surface for the tiles.

While removing the old adhesive grooves, I came across many areas that looked like a
white paint finish, but it isn't paint because a 600 degree heat gun would not bubble this
finish. The heat would only soften it slightly, so I could scrape it off BUT as I started to
scrape the white finish I came across a blue undercoat, which seems to be glue - what is
odd is that the top coat and undercoat are very thin but very tough.

I managed to remove all this glue type finish (took days), and then I started to strip
very old wallpaper (possibly between 1976 and 1996) and found the same finish again.

The problem this time, is that it does not want to budge, and when it does it is a very
small section at a time.

Does anyone know what this finish might be (it was applied direct to the finished plaster),
and if so any idea how to remove it?

I've tried abrasive wheels on drill etc, but no real joy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Stephen

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back