Any idea what this is and if it would be safe to remove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice on this. I'm inclined to remove it but it looks like part of the original build so I can't help feel it serves a purpose but it just looks like empty boxing-in to me.

This boxing spans 2.1m across the centre of the kitchen ceiling. It's about 25cm deep x 12cm wide. It doesn't contain any pipes or cables – totally empty as the photo shows (I removed the TG boards on the open side). It doesn't appear to be fixed to the wall at either end and only seems to be nailed to a couple of joists a third in from each end. The lathe and plaster ceiling butts up against the boxing with the header of the boxing fitted directly to the underside of the joists.

View media item 82372//www.diynot.com/network/33frog/albums/21978/82372

By the way, it's on the ground floor of a 1930s maisonette.

Any ideas what it is and if it's safe to remove?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You would do well to find out what (if anything) is directly above it on the next floor, and whats in the ceiling?

As you've noted its original but original what?

Is the window opening to the left an original opening? I'm thinking that the box was maybe part of a partition, and that the window was located someplace else? A doubtful notion.

I hope that it stays, we have so little left of the old built fabric, even 1960's to 1970's interiors have been ripped and changed. Here's to the unknown. Maybe a bit of pure design - no purpose at all?

If it is some sort of rudimentary box beam holding something up, whatever it is it's not going to be anything serious. I'd just go carefully and have a good look above as you go. Have a couple of 4x2s handy - cut to the right length - just in case you need to jamb some support up quickly. If it is holding something up that can't be altered you could replace that with something much slimmer and neater than what's there now.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, particularly Jeds. Ideally I'd like to remove it unless it serves a useful purpose. Given what I can see your suggestions sounds good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back