Any idea why and what these pipes are

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst gutting a downstairs room I’ve found two mysterious pipes that I can’t work out what they are for.

I first thought they might be drain offs for the CH but my combo system doesn’t empty when I let water out of them.

I’m down to thinking they are mains water.

The house is 1972 and they would have been in the original garage. A previous owner has stolen a bit of the garage to make a downstairs WC and that’s where they currently are.

I find it strange that there’s a pair of them and both have drain valves. And one goes off towards the outside. The one that’s heading off outside goes nearish to my outside tap.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 16997F6B-0A3C-45AC-8CFA-748A3876F06B.jpeg
    16997F6B-0A3C-45AC-8CFA-748A3876F06B.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 213
  • DD6070D0-55A3-43A1-8646-16CF2CB97718.jpeg
    DD6070D0-55A3-43A1-8646-16CF2CB97718.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 200
Sponsored Links
Yeah I wondered if it was a drain for hot and cold and supply to the tap.

I’d have thought that one would have run hot as I ran it though and the other would have stayed cold? They both stayed cold.

Sponsored Links
They both seemed pretty low pressure but I didn’t open the up very fully as I had nowhere to run the water to. It would be too to put some hose on them and open them fuller to see what sort of pressure get on each one yeah?

If one is on my he system it should run hit ones the the water from the boiler reaches it I guess?

Managed to get a bit more of the floor up and the wall has come out today too. So it shows that one is a mains supply to the toilet and I’m guessing outside tap. The other still puzzles me. It runs cold too.

Attachments

• 4603405D-E58A-4BB5-8986-A1A0AB1D79D3.jpeg
    4603405D-E58A-4BB5-8986-A1A0AB1D79D3.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 155
as above. you could abandon the pipes or cut them away where exposed and run new supplie on or in the wall.

first find where these pipes branch off or first go into the floor. look for isolators.
what are you going to do with thenow knocked into one room, will the toilet be moved?

Toilet staying where it is. I’ve got access to another mains water supply so wondering if it’s worth ditching these and starting again with a new feed and taking it through the stud work.

Is there a sink with a hot water tap near the toilet?
If so turn on the hot tap then open the cock on the unknown pipe and see if the flow from the tap changes, that shouldn't take long.

A paint roller tray may be low enough to capture the water, or yes try a hose pipe.

Central heating systems one time often had drain valves exactly as those shown, on an outside wall. One connected to feed and other to the return.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back