Any ideas how these are made?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning guys,

Wondering if anyone could advise what material these worktops are probably made of and if so, how they are finished? I need to make a worktop for my bathroom and this kind of effect/finish would be perfect. It doesn't need to be very intricate, but normal worktop wouldn't work.

I was wondering if it was MDF or ply that has been laminated, vinyl wrapped or sprayed or maybe some sort of poured resin? The effect I'm looking for is a fairly thick worktop, sharp edges and invisible joins.

Any help would be greatly appreciated with how they might've been done and also how a DIY solution could be implemented.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
By the look of them it's one of two, both similar, could be earthstone as they call it in B & poo , thats about £320 for a 1.8m length and is basically resin on chipboard comes out at about 30mm thick or could be Corian, basically another resin based product again very expensive ,look here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corian

Both probably not DIY projects, they are both very expensive and need a bit of experience especially if you want seemless joins :)

Sponsored Links
Brilliant, thanks for the input. I thought it might turn out to be a little bit more complicated than I first thought! The concrete looks like it might well be the ticket though, I really like the effect and should easily be doable over a couple of weekends. I imagine it would be fairly cheap to do as well?

I'm currently using some off cuts of laminate worktop that I had from the kitchen, but really want to make a full length worktop with the basin properly cut in. Obviously underneath the basin will then be finished off. Do you guys think the concrete would work in this situation? Would steel reinforcement be required for such a narrow piece? It will be well braced underneath.

I'm really starting to visualise the industrial look of the concrete and really liking the idea!

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back