Any issues with reducing Cavity wall size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're building an extension and we want to maximise the space internally/ externally (gable wall)

One of the ways the bricklayer has suggested is by constructing the cavity wall a little smaller at 290mm as opposed to 300mm.

We are using thermalite blocks (100mm), plus 100mm cavity slab insulation.

Is there any issue/ potential issue with reducing the cavity wall size?

Sponsored Links
I should imagine a slight compression of the insulation will have a slight affect on its performance but I doubt anyone will notice or care

I built my extension with a 75mm cavity filled with 75mm dritherm 32 insulation, brick outer skin and a slightly higher performance lightweight block finished internally with dabbed on plasterboard .

10mm won't give you much extra space, but a cavity a bit too small is a lot more hassle with batts, especially with AAC blocks.
Normally it's easier to add a few mm to the cavity.
Can't you make the walls a bit bigger in the footings?

Lol. 10mm. :rolleyes: will the settee fit in now?

Perhaps his next lightbulb moment will be 9.5mm plasterboard, taped joints and no skim?

Or perhaps your designer could have specified a different, thinner wall? :cautious:

Sponsored Links
If this is a side extension and space is a bit tight, is it possible to remove the existing outer skin of brickwork (assuming the existing side wall is traditional cavity)?
That would entail some plastering work and a skip, but would give you another 150mm.

Lol. 10mm. :rolleyes: will the settee fit in now?

Perhaps his next lightbulb moment will be 9.5mm plasterboard, taped joints and no skim?

Or perhaps your designer could have specified a different, thinner wall? :cautious:
Well aren't you sassy today? :D:D

Yes, it's 10mm.. but every little or should I say, millimeter, helps :ROFLMAO:

Architect originally specified a solid wall but I wanted a cavity as I'm not a fan of solid walls.

If this is a side extension and space is a bit tight, is it possible to remove the existing outer skin of brickwork (assuming the existing side wall is traditional cavity)?
That would entail some plastering work and a skip, but would give you another 150mm.
It's a rear extension but thanks for the tip

150mm would be lovely

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back