Any last tips before I finalise ensuite electrics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks to all those who gave advice on previous posts (or other peoples posts which I viewed), very usefull. I've installed this stuff and tested as well as I can, just wondering if there are any comments on my installation before I seal stuff in and it becomes hard to make changes.

I've hopefully done everything the right way, so it will be safe and not end up in a diy disaster post on here!

So, in summary:

(i am aware of notification requirements of this)

New en-suite, plastic water/heating piping, mains pressure shower, no other electrics other than described here.

Timed extractor fan, in zone 1 on ceiling, IPX5 rated SELV, transformer located in loft above shower (still accessible)
2 x IP65 rated showerlights, mains, 1 x in zone 1
3 pole fan isolator next to lightswitch, outside bathroom door.
the above circuit, junction box wired (in loft, still accessible)
shaver socket
suitably IP rated(can't remember exact) light above mirror

All of this will be run from a 30mA RCD FCU, which will be spurred from ring main (or ring main extended to FCU, what is better?)

Extra bit, managed to squeeze in a WC/basin at the top of the stairs:
Mains extractor fan and light (can't remember IP ratings)
3 pole fan isolator next to lightswitch, outside bathroom door.
the above circuit, junction box wired (in loft, still accessible)
Power from upstairs lighting circuit.

If this WC needs to be RCD protected, then it's not too much trouble for me to change it's feed from the lighting circuit to the RCD FCU?

All cables run in safe zones as well.

Where i have extended (or will have to extend) cables, I've crimped them rather than use choc-blocks or junction boxes.

Sponsored Links
The notifications process isn't the same for you as it is in England or Wales, you'd have to consult the Scottish requirements.

Overall sounds OK, maybe it is just me that doesn't like mains lights in zone 1 but providing the manufacturer says they are suitable you're home dry.
The circuits will need some sort of RCD protection, it as will your electric shower.
Crimped cables are fine providing they are in some sort of enclosure. Sometimes it is easier just to replace the length of cable using the old one as a draw wire.

A WC isn't a special location unless it contains a bathtub or shower basin (but then it becomes a bath/shower room ;) )

All the ensuite electrics are protected by an RCD i'm fitting as mentioned so should be ok there.

Wasn't ware of the enclosure for crimped cables. Would replace the hole thing but I reckon that would be quite difficult/time consuming for me.

Cheers,

Murray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back