Any opinions on the GX Heat Bank

Hi Steve, hopefully you have been keeping up to date with drivel. On another post he openly admits he does not fit anything

Nope, not these days.

but implies vaguely that he is some sort of designer/engineer.

Not vaguely. I am.

I suspect he has some affiliation with DPS at Epsom.

Nope.

This is were his arguement falls flat on its ar*e.

They do? Let's see. He goes on.....

The theory and ideas behind the thermal store/heat bank are very good and no doubt under controlled conditions appear favourable.

What are these controlled conditions you are on about?

As you and I both know there are many theories/ideas in life which when placed into a practical working enviroment just dont come up with the goods.

Thermal storage is not a theory - the products are readily on the market made by numerous companies. Boy are you dumb! Stick to changing baths.

I actually reckon drivel is a thermal store/heatbank sales rep.

I wish.

Sponsored Links
The thermal store is a reality, the theory is all there and sounds good, they do not work as well as the theory because of the variables they have to work with. If you got of your ars* and went out into the field and got some hands on feedback, perhaps as a design/engineer you might be able to design out some of the gremlins, instead of sitting behind a desk spouting off theory.

Obviously you work in the thermal industry so you should be able to answer the following.
1. Why did British Gas start installing thermal stores.
2. Which brand/model was chosen as 1st choice.
3. Why did they stop fitting thermal stores.

If I wanted to fit baths I would have trained as a plumber.

Cheers heatingman - will have another look ... This is the bit that I got from heatweb - have I misunderstood it ? As you have gathered I know nothing about this so any input very gratefully received !

The GX Heat Bank for Sealed Systems

To provide greater flexibility in design and installation, we developed along-side the GXV, the GX Heat Bank for a sealed systems.

Where the installation will not allow the fitting of an F&E tank, the GX overcomes the problem by the use of a built in expansion vessel. The entire GX and heating system is pressurised, and no separate F&E tank is required. The GX is fitted with all the usual sealed system controls including:

Expansion Vessel
Pressure Relief Valve
Pressure Gauge
Overheat Thermostat
Filling Loop

See NU-Heat Stainless pressurised heat bank. An integral coil thermal store requires G3 certification, so a pressurised heat bank, a plate heat X, can be DIYed.
http://tinyurl.com/p89x3

No complex, expensive pressure/temp devices, just a 3 bar relief valve. A cheap system boiler goes direct and has its own relief too, so backup if one fails.

The heat bank cylinder is treated like a big pipe in a normal sealed CH system.

Let's see what drivel he comes up with now.....

The thermal store is a reality,

10/10 astute observation.

the theory is all there and sounds good,

that is the case.

they do not work as well as the theory because of the variables they have to work with.

What are these mystical "variables" he is on about?

If you got of your ars* and went out into the field and got some hands on feedback, perhaps as a design/engineer you might be able to design out some of the gremlins, instead of sitting behind a desk spouting off theory.

What are these mystical gremlins I am to address?

He goes on....

Obviously you work in the thermal industry so you should be able to answer the following.
1. Why did British Gas start installing thermal stores.

They developed them with Gledhill.

2. Which brand/model was chosen as 1st choice.

A Gledhill.

3. Why did they stop fitting thermal stores.

They were privatised and became run by stupid monkeys.

That was a nice silly quiz which never addressed the "variables" or "gremlins" or "controlled conditions" he was on about!!!

If I wanted to fit baths I would have trained as a plumber.

You know sweet FA about heating, that is for sure. Sad but true.

Sponsored Links
Well you got those questions wrong, obviously been behind a desk to long.
Going to sleep will continue the chat another time. Ta

Well you got those questions wrong, obviously been behind a desk to long.
Going to sleep will continue the chat another time. Ta

What about... the "variables", "gremlins" and "controlled conditions" you were on about!!!

Please let us all know what these all are!!!!. We are all ears!!!!!

Shissssh. This is the ignorance people have to face.

You've been told many times about problems with themal store systems, which anyone other than the regulars here will have to do a search for.
We aren't obsessed tripe-peddling nutters so we don't waste time repeating it.

Your list of supposed advantages and disadvantages is so full of rubbish that people can see for themselves how sick you are.

You've been told many times about problems with themal store systems,

Tell what they are? These "variables", "gremlins" and "controlled conditions" the ignorant keep going on about but never say what they are. No arm waving please.

Don't say they all produce sludge, tripe, as they do not. Some poorly made and installed systems did, as do poorly installed CH systems as they gather sludge in the rads.

Your list of supposed advantages and disadvantages is so full of rubbish that people can see for themselves how sick you are.

More arm waving with no factual basis whatsoever. Tell where it is wrong?

Don't bother, you can't as it is not wrong.

You are not an engineer, don't think like an engineer in any way whatsoever as you, and many others here, have no engineering creative or analytical skills whatsoever. You are a fitter. You fit what you got cheap and "think" you make the biggest bucks on. Everything you do is rule of thumb.

You are not an engineer, don't think like an engineer in any way whatsoever as you, and many others here, have no engineering creative or analytical skills whatsoever. You are a fitter. You fit what you got cheap and "think" you make the biggest bucks on. Everything you do is rule of thumb.

None of this has any relevance to the point of this forum - helping punters with mundane every day P&H problem solving and advice. Something you're never heard doing. Indeed the only time you unwantedly butt into any post is where opportunity arises, however tenuous, to insert the words DPS, Ethos, EcoHometec or any other b******ks that the OP is equally dis-interested in.

Your analytical skills are not always relevant here, however one suspects the only reason you bring them to this, the most basic of technical forums, is because you're unable to cut it in a real technicians arena.

To be fair the OP wanted an 'opinion'.

A Doctor Drivel has given lots of 'opinion'.

The OP should not confuse 'opinion' from 'experience' because the self professed 'Dr' has already admitted in a post today that he doesn't have any.

He just 'knows' apparently. Like a wise old sage or soothsayer.

Whilst those of us with any degree of honesty usually only comment on equipment we have installed or otherwise worked on, the good Dr considers his opinion to be far more relevant.

We stake our businesses on our professionalism, the Doctor just moves to the Screwfix forum when things get uncomfortable here, or changes his username.

To be fair the OP wanted an 'opinion'.

A Doctor Drivel has given lots of 'opinion'.

WRONG!! as usual. I have given a reasoned assessment addressed to the request based on engineering analysis underpinned by experience in the field.

I detect much drivel, so it must be snipped.

<snip drivel>

When they resort to personal attacks you know they have lost it - in more ways than one. Sad isn't it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back