Any regs/ similar etc for rooms with a sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,
Are there any regs or guidelines on the installation of appliances (an electric convector heater (BEHA)) in rooms containing a sink - cloak/WC.

I know there are the regs re bathrooms/shower rooms but I can't find anything on sinks/wcs. Part of my query is that the heater will have to be fitted quite close to the sink (less than 25cm)- and at a slightly lower level. However the heater is rated at IPX4 so it is splashproof so would be safe for zone 2 in a bathroom?

A second part of the question is re bonding. The plumbing is plastic pipework with very short copper tap tails. The heater itself is double insulated and therefore has only L and N supply cord and no earthing point. The main bodywork is metal. Does it need bonding?

Third question is just a theory one - would part P apply.?The installation is via FCU on existing ring which is OK. Does the Cloak/WC count as a special location? I believe kitchens and Bathrooms are specifically mentioned but I don't think Cloak/WC , or for that matter utility rooms etc are?
:confused:

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions relating to this.

Sponsored Links
A room containing neither a bath nor a shower is not a bathroom for the puposes of BS7671 or part P, neither does the room you describe come under any special locations in BS7671 (unless you are quite small and go swimming in the sink :LOL: ) nor does it count as any special installation or area under Part P (such as kitchens and gardens do)

The only requirement for positioning is that equipemtn must be suitable for the conditions expected in the area its to be installed in, its your judegement wehether or not IP44 will be enough (and in 98% of cases it will be)

No need for sup bonding as the room is not a special location.

Thanks for that Adam - I thought as much but wanted to be sure.

I won't ask why a kitchen is a special location but a utility room or cloakroom isn't - or why if the presence of water isn't what makes it a special location a kitchen is regarded as such.?Oh go on, I will :LOL:

Is it yet another example of muddled thinking on the part of those who would protect us from ourselves?

Sponsored Links
towman said:
I won't ask why a kitchen is a special location but a utility room or cloakroom isn't - or why if the presence of water isn't what makes it a special location a kitchen is regarded as such.?Oh go on, I will :LOL:

It isn't a special location as per BS7671, but (and forgive me here, I can't remember the excact working) installations in kitchens are special installations for the purposes of part P, I believe it stops short of calling it a special location though.

And the reason is simple, kitchen replacement is quite popular when people move and so a lot of them happen kitchen replacements often involve electricial work, and it provides money to the bodies from registrations from kitchen fitters, and also to the government from tax from work thats no longer done cash in hand. If I was less cynical I'd say its because kitchen fitters often do dangerous work, but I think we have just merely now got a herd of registered ones doing round doing dodgy work, and so not a lot has changed on the whole

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back