Any SE around?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I know I've posted below but I'm feeling stumped on this one.

My local authority BC guidance states that if my neighbours have removed a chimney breast then it is unlikely that I could use gallows brackets if I remove mine and a steel must be used instead.

My neighbour has removed theirs, should the SE recommend a steel in this case? Should they have mind to the individual local authority rules?

Sponsored Links
Structural alterations are subject to a Building Regulation application.

If you're carrying out structural alterations (i.e. removal of load bearing wall/supporting structure), then whatever that element was supporting needs to be re-supported. People have used gallows brackets in the past and people have also used steel beams. If an engineer can prove a bracket is sufficient, then those details/calculations are to be sent to building control for their comment/approval. Likewise with a steel beam.

I would have thought the tidiest solution would be to remove the redundant chimney stack completely instead of devising ways to prop it up.

Thank you both.

My concern is that the support is suffcient for the load, and that it satisfies the freeholder, and building control. As I have to pay a fee to both for consideration.

For the amount of space to be saved it wouldn't be financially sound to remove the whole stack on the roof, and it may not be allowed.

My neighbour's builder told me they used gallows brackets to support the breast in the loft space. (as they came around to quote me for doing mine) I gave this info to the SE and from what I described to the SE he felt that next door hadn't supported their side properly, and had not attached one into the party wall but into a stud wall,and this one protudes into the kitchen as they said they could not get it up high enough due to the angle of the breast above the ceiling. (It angles to the left to meet at the party wall)

But he then went on to advise and calculate for gallows brackets my side as well. I have asked him for reassurance before I submit the application, but now he is saying we must check what's been done in my neighbours place, and that's up to the builder. And he wants paying without delay. (Am not withholding payment) I wasn't disputing him, just asking for an explanation of the use of gallows brackets in my situation.

Sponsored Links
Gallows brackets for shared chimneys are a poor option.. often one side will completely remove the chimney leaving the other side on gallows thats then eccentrically loading the wall and causes all kinds of problems..

If your neighbour has part removed the chimney and supporting on gallows then as you say your best off supporting your removed section on steels to load bearing walls.. will future proof is somewhat..

Only other alternative would be complete removal of the stack both sides..

Thanks for your reply.

That's my concern. The SE knew about next door and still did the calcs and drawings for gallows brackets. I feel uneasy about it as he is the professional, and will know 100 times more than I do about this, but he won't give me any reassurance that these will be sufficient.

I can't really understand this given the local authorities view, and general consensus regarding the use of gallows brackets in a terrace building, and the fact that he himself said that the neighbours more than likely haven't properly supported what's left of their chimney breast.

I don't know where to go from here with him.

Ask to see a copy of his PI insurance.. and how much cover he will be giving to his design for your gallows brackets..

If you are still unsure, then you can always drop him and get another engineer to look at it..

Thanks for that. When I queried him, he emailed me, copying in my builder saying that I said that the neighbours used a steel beam! I never said that or anything remotely like it. I can absolutey swear I didn't and was very shocked to read it.

But the point is I could have said that the neighbour used cream cheese, but he's the professional and not me.

I'm going to talk further to my builder about it.

Funny that.. always put things in writting when instructing someone and do the same now.. even send the SE written confirmations of telephone conversations..

Hopefully he will now come up with a more suitable solution and dont pay any "extras" for design change as it wasnt your error..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back