Any tips on how to fit beading on small windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a broken double glazed glass unit. The windows are Rehau 70mm.

The window is a small fan light, with relatively short beads. These were a pig to remove. I'm finding that re-fitting the beads is a nightmare!I'm concerned that I may break the new glass when I try to re-fit the beads. Can anyone suggest any hints and tips that might make this a bit easier?

Sponsored Links
Fit the short beads first, you'll need to bend the other beads so that both mitres fit in then tap them home with a nylon mallet starting at the mitre and working towards the middle, Rehau S706 beads do take some knocking in if it makes you feel better

Kommerling are no different, fit the short beads first and try putting the long beads in hot water, if no luck cut a v notch in the centre of the long beads( the bit that clips into the groove under the glass)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips gents.

After struggling for hours trying to bend the beads I cut 'V' notches as advised. I then pre-bent the beads enough to get the corner in and they went straight in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back