Any tips on preventing security light from false triggering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a bright (400W I think) spotlight above the back door that lights up the whole garden (8 fence panels long) when set off, its perfect and lights up when the dog goes out at night or we do. It occasionally goes off for no obvious reason though, any ideas?

And is there any tips/tricks of the trade to 'lessen' its sensitivity?

Sponsored Links
400 Watts? Are you aware of the building regulations concerning these type of lights?
There is little chance of lessening the sensitivity, but you can section the sensor with blind spots.
Some sensors will pick up pets or rodents and trees swaying in the wind, even the plume given off by a boiler flue.
There are sensors available that do not!

:eek: Errr, no, I'm not aware of building regs for these lights?? Please enlighten me (excuse the pun)

:eek: Errr, no, I'm not aware of building regs for these lights?? Please enlighten me (excuse the pun)

Part L (Building Regulations)

If you are installing an external light which is supplied from your electrical system and fixed to the exterior surface of your house then you should ensure that reasonable provisions are made to enable effective control and/or use of energy efficient lamps. Two options for achieving this are:

• Installing a lamp with a capacity which does not exceed 150W per light fitting and the lighting automatically switches off both when there is enough daylight and also when it is not required at night
  • Ensuring that the lighting fittings you use have sockets that can only be used with lamps having an energy efficacy greater than 40 lumens per circuit-watt.

Sponsored Links

Part L (Building Regulations)

If you are installing an external light which is supplied from your electrical system and fixed to the exterior surface of your house then you should ensure that reasonable provisions are made to enable effective control and/or use of energy efficient lamps. Two options for achieving this are:
But surely using a PIR as part of the light fitting conforms as it provides 'reasonable provision for effective control' so I'm not sure why you brought up the issue with the op?

For neighbours, a 150w can be bad enough so a 400w is absolutely over the top. Unless you are trying to cover a Rugby Pitch (don't like football, girls game)

I have a 150w with a small metal shield I put along side when fitted years ago as I knew the light would encroach, never been a problem.

Just needs a little thought.

Thanks guys, our back garden in un-overlooked and backs onto a dark walk through lane in a rural area so theres no one to blind or annoy (unless someone was in my garden when they shouldnt be, in which case my 400w spotlight would be least of their worries)

How come places still sell these lights then? We only bought it less than a year ago from Screwfix

But surely using a PIR as part of the light fitting conforms as it provides 'reasonable provision for effective control' so I'm not sure why you brought up the issue with the op?
Not according to building regs, not greater than 150W and what you call effective control, not one or the other.

"Installing a lamp with a capacity which does not exceed 150W per light fitting and the lighting automatically switches off both when there is enough daylight and also when it is not required at night"

That is the reason why I brought it up, the set up does not conform to this particular regulation and can be seen from the moon!

It's fine as its classed as controlled light
Where in the building regs does it declare this as fine? Please read the above part of the regulations, regarding maximum rating and the manner in which it is controlled.

Last edited:
As per image
Difference between building and domestic dwelling !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 174
Not according to building regs, not greater than 150W and what you call effective control, not one or the other.

"Installing a lamp with a capacity which does not exceed 150W per light fitting and the lighting automatically switches off both when there is enough daylight and also when it is not required at night"
You have conveniently left the bit out that say 'Two options for achieving this are:' I read that as these are just 2 suggestions to achieve 'effective control' rather than a statutory statement.

You have conveniently left the bit out that say 'Two options for achieving this are:' I read that as these are just 2 suggestions to achieve 'effective control' rather than a statutory statement.

Well you quote where in the building regulations it is permissible to have an external wall mounted 400W halogen lamp.
I agree the statement does say that there are two possible options of achieving and possibly more, the second option does not really apply to this thread/the ops situation as it stands at the moment.
The option I had offered, suggests that it would not be acceptable to have a lamp greater than 150W, whether it be controlled or not!

PrenticeBoyofDerry said:
Well you quote where in the building regulations it is permissible to have an external wall mounted 400W halogen lamp.

It probably doesn't explicitly say its permissible to have a wall mounted 400W halogen lamp but then again it probably doesn't say I can have a few hanging baskets or a horse shoe mounted over my front door etc. can you see where I'm going here?

It's back to the electric forum " rules and regulations " with no sensible advise or input
I suggest you contact ... B&Q , Wickes , Homebase , Screwfix, as all these sell 400w pir floodlights

It's back to the electric forum " rules and regulations " with no sensible advise or input
I believe my advice has been of a sensible input, we work in a industry sector that rules and regulations have to be complied to. I am inspected at least once a year to prove that I conform to this regulations, maybe you are not and that is why you decide to turn a blind eye to them or possibly keep them from being inspected, if you are inspected?
I suggest you contact ... B&Q , Wickes , Homebase , Screwfix, as all these sell 400w pir floodlights
I have no interest in contacting any of them, I simple buy and fit products that comply to the relevant regulations, it is as simple as that. If a customer gave me a unit they had sourced, that did not comply, it stays in the box!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back