Any tricks for glueing oak edging on to doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some doors I got on the cheap - they were designed as fire doors (not that they will be used as such)

I need to trim them down a bit - I think they're solid blanks with veneer facing so am going to trial on one first with the following process:

- Cut off edging strip (about 7mm thick solid oak) from both sides (retaining as much of strip as possible) using a straight rip fence
- Cut door to size allowing for edging thickness
- Re-glue edging back on to door

I don't currently own any sash or 3-way clamps so was wondering if anyone has any tips on alternatives or an idea on how many I'll need based on the thickness of the edging? I'd probably go for the 3 way clamps if I have to buy purely on cost.

Sponsored Links
or for a long length like that if you have a work bench screw a bit of 2x2 to the bench push the door up against it then screw 2 or 3 blocks of 2x2 behind the other edge of the door a inch or so away and wedge the door against these

Sponsored Links
Have you got a local tool hire shop. Alternatively, if you've got a really flat floor, then put the edging strip down on it glue side up, and then put the door down on top of it, and use the weight of the door to provide the pressure needed. Then use a few chairs either side of the door to keep it upright.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back