Any tricks of the trade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a drop valve for my cistern.
1. Do I need to put any sealant/boss white on the rubber gasket that goes inside of the bottom entry into the pan or the base nut that screws up tight on the outside of the bottom entry?
2. Is the base nut screwed on hand tight or do I have to buy a tool?

Sponsored Links
NEVER put Boss white on anything plastic or rubber!

Sponsored Links
Use silicone and in most cistern sets you should get that plastic hex spanner with the set

cant remember which 1 it is but i think its the opella one , it comes with the hex spanner.

no need for ptfe on the threads, its got a rubber washer with it, add a bit of lsx or ct1 sealant if it helps you.

The rubber washer goes inside the cistern, and no other sealant is needed, in fact it will make it worse if you do as the washer will spread.

The rubber washer goes inside the cistern, and no other sealant is needed, in fact it will make it worse if you do as the washer will spread.
I second that :eek: , it`ll spread more than a Tom`s legs and you won`t get it off.

Well I completely disagree...use silicon on all the washers inside the cistern. Many cisterns are so poorly manufacturered that a ridge is left where the tool reams the holes through the base so sealing with just the washer is futile. A little sealant sorts it and there is no need to tighten up to the point where the washer slides out.

Fix-a-tap for all taps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back