Anyone been prescribed Bisoprolol ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm already on a couple of meds to try to control my too high blood pressure, and too high heart beat, but following some home BP readings and a consultation with renal, they prescribed a daily 2.5mg Bisoprolol, which I collected on Friday, took the first one Friday evening.

The effect was near immediate, BP dropped dramatically, BP came down too low, and HB fell too, followed by a second pill next day - Saturday. Maybe too low, because it made me feel quite nauseous. So, I stopped taking them, planning to retry with a half dose, after my BP returned to it's normal too high, except two days later, it hasn't....

My renal consultant wants my BP down at 130, my stroke consultant wants my BP between 150 - 160. Actual pre-Bisoprolol 170 - 180, with a HB of 80 to 100

The effect of the Bisoprolol seems to have lingered, plus the nauseous feeling, with my BP between 120 - 145 and a HB of 65 - 72.

Has anyone had experience of taking Bisoprolol please?

Sponsored Links
Seems to have many side effects.......

They all come with a long list of side effects. When they first put me on Ramipril, I was really ill, but I've never known the effects, and side effects, be so persistent as with the these pills.

According to the NHS website, bisoprolol is unlikely to give any issues.

It does say though, that alcohol with it lowers the BP even further.

It says that bisoprolol and ramipril work in completely different ways, bisoprolol being a beta blocker, while ramipril is an ACE inhibitor.

Sponsored Links
No, but when I went on an anti-migraine drug that also lowers blood pressure, I was advised to take half a tablet day 1, a whole tablet day 2, two tablets day 3 and onward (or something like that). The body acclimatises to the blood pressure changes. I have a naturally slow heartbeat and reasonable blood pressure.

It did also cause nightmares and other undesirable effects, and the GP reduced the dose.

I believe, if coming off it, you are supposed to taper down, not suddenly stop.

No, but when I went on an anti-migraine drug that also lowers blood pressure, I was advised to take half a tablet day 1, a whole tablet day 2, two tablets day 3 and onward (or something like that).

I wasn't advised of any of that, they were just asked to be prescribed by my consultant, prescribed by my GP.

It did also cause nightmares and other undesirable effects, and the GP reduced the dose.

Now you mention nightmares, I was woken at 4am by one, and in a cold sweat on the Saturday morning. I think I need to discuss the prescription with my GP, before taking any more.

Thanks..

i am on 5mg bisoprol and 10 ramparil but thought they where for different purposes not the same??

didgoxin metforman riveroxiban 20 amplodidine 5mg [all spelling approximate ]no changes noticed on any without monitoring telling me

... I was woken at 4am by one, and in a cold sweat on the Saturday morning. I

That's it.

I stopped taking one at bedtime and approximate to 8am and 8pm. I read that the concentation in the blood reaches the maximum 4 hours after taking a dose.

I avoid watching the news or certain documentaries before bed as they can trigger horrible imaginings.

That's it.

I stopped taking one at bedtime and approximate to 8am and 8pm. I read that the concentation in the blood reaches the maximum 4 hours after taking a dose.

I avoid watching the news or certain documentaries before bed as they can trigger horrible imaginings.
Probably have a nightmare tonight, just watched Toy Story 4

i am on 5mg bisoprol and 10 ramparil but thought they where for different purposes not the same??

didgoxin metforman riveroxiban 20 amplodidine 5mg [all spelling approximate ]no changes noticed on any without monitoring telling me

I was on Ramipril, but they were causing high potassium levels, so they swapped me to Amlodipine 10mg. When I first took the Ramipril, it made me feel so unwell, I ended up calling 111, and they sent the emergency doc out to me.

They were so concerned about my potassium level, they asked me to avoid all foods containing potassium, especially tomatoes, which I rarely ate anyway, as well as stop the Ramipril. Since stopping the Ramipril, I've taken a liking to tomatoes, and binged on them sometimes, but they say my potassium is spot on - so it must have been the Ramipril. So it's been 10mg Amlodipine, plus 4x Doxazosin 4mg (16mg per day), for a while now. Then last week, they added in the 2.5mg Bisoprolol, due to my BP being too high.

I think what happened, was - my consultant requested them, assuming my GP would discuss taking them first with me, and my GP assumed my consultant had already discussed them with me. I'll be emailing my BP readings and mentioning my reaction to them, what I have learned about the Bisoprolol, when my GP reopens on Wednesday, give them a chance to think about it, then ring me with advice of what to do next.

Thanks All..

aahhh looking at ramparil and its uses its for my atrial fibrillation

was on Ramipril, but they were causing high potassium levels, so they swapped me to Amlodipine
I'm on 10mg Ramipril and 10mg Amlodipine

I don't really have any side effects really TBH

I've not heard about high potassium levels, I shall look into that.

It seems like you might be quite sensitive to blood pressure medication

My wife has just been prescribed Bisoprolol, she has been suffering with heart arrhythmia, which has resulted in trips to A&E a couple of times. It was a bit scary when the BP monitor registered a heartbeat of 32 due to missing / doubled beats.

She was given 1.25 for a month, now doubled

When she took it to begin with, one day she was out walking the dog and nearly collapsed, since then she's taken it after breakfast so on a full stomach

And she has now moved onto the double dose but asked for a double qty of the lower dose and she takes one morning and one evening.

I would say the medication takes a while to settle down

I’m on 5mg Amlodipine and 50mg Losartan. I was on Ramipril for a while but that made me feel ill and gave me a constant cough. It was Mrs Mottie that noticed the cough and told me it was the Ramipril.

Dang, this high bp seems to affect us as we get older.
I'm on 10mg Amlodipine as well as other tablets, I rattle as I go to bed :)

Sponsored Links
Back