Country
United Kingdom
Got a compound saw that stopped working, and don't want to just bin it

Anyone help out?

Sponsored Links
make model and suspected fault would be handy

Hi

It's a Clarke CMS12S.

Has been given to me and I was told it just stopped working. Brushes seem ok, there's power going to the motor, just not spinning.

Taken motor housing off and using brush housing contacts done a continuity test, which seems to be ok, so windings in stator seem to be ok

Sponsored Links
if it hasnt got a blade brake[spins freely]try spinning the blade then when your hands clear turn on the power
this will help rule out a dead segment on the commutator or dead windings

was it stored in a cold damp place ??
this can cause the brushes to glaze over and loose contact [lots off sparking]

if it hasnt got a blade brake[spins freely]try spinning the blade then when your hands clear turn on the power
this will help rule out a dead segment on the commutator or dead windings

was it stored in a cold damp place ??
this can cause the brushes to glaze over and loose contact [lots off sparking]

Hi

I can turn the blade but stops as soon as I stop (guess it has a brake)

I've cleaned the commutator with 2000grit paper as it was glazed in carbon, and now back to shinny copper.

Would have been kept in a cold(ish) place, but I've swapped over to anther set of brushes it came with, and the same.....no hum, buz, spark or arc

Capacitors will be connected across the main switch - they can be for motor starting or more likely television interference.
If its connected across the switch then try disconnecting it.
The problem - if all checks out so far - is likely to be in either the stator or rotor windings, and either one is unlikely to be an economic repair, unfortunately.
John :)

Capacitors will be connected across the main switch - they can be for motor starting or more likely television interference.
If its connected across the switch then try disconnecting it.
The problem - if all checks out so far - is likely to be in either the stator or rotor windings, and either one is unlikely to be an economic repair, unfortunately.

Thanks

If the capacitor is knackered, would power still be going to the motor?

I have found parts diagram which shows capacitor in the handle, so will check it out tonight

There could be some burning in there, so check the cables and remove the capacitor for a try. Other than that, they are wired in parallel so there should still be juice going to the motor.

There could be some burning in there, so check the cables and remove the capacitor for a try. Other than that, they are wired in parallel so there should still be juice going to the motor.

Thanks John, will try tonight.

Just thought that if there was power going to motor, it would work, didnt think the capacitor would affect it but I'll give it a shot. Would love to get this working, as it has a deeper cut compared to my current one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back