Anyone deal with RS?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why are RS so uptight about only suplying the trade at their counters in the UK? I have worked with the trade in the past in both electronics and electrical / other and as far as I remember RS is the only company I dealt with that won't serve the public over the counter.

Instead I have to pay over £5 delivery for some tiny little electronic components that I have already paid for and to make matters worse I could walk across the road and pick them up in an hour!

RS why Oh why are you such Ar@~!!

As I have to take proof that I am a company I don't suppose anyone knows a way to sort of blag a counter pickup do they?

Sponsored Links
Some companies have a trade only policy, just the way they work.

Howdens are the same.

I used to run a trade only warehouse and the thinking was by being trade only we would have a lower customer base but the average spend would be quite high. Also we would be dealing with (in theory) people who knew what they were talking about so our returns would be minimal.

Some companies have a trade only policy, just the way they work.

Howdens are the same.

I used to run a trade only warehouse and the thinking was by being trade only we would have a lower customer base but the average spend would be quite high. Also we would be dealing with (in theory) people who knew what they were talking about so our returns would be minimal.

I wouldn't mind if RS supplied to the trade only but it seems they are happy for our custom but insist on delivering a part that would fit on my little finger nail. I wouldn't mind but I can't get these parts anywhere else so I have no choice. They have a bit of a monopoly and they know it!
I guess you have a point regarding returns etc but I don't know I still feel it isn't terribly fair when I have to pay £11 for components costing £4.60 - I guess I just feel the need to vent my spleen!

Why dont you just open an account with them ?
Can collect in store, and pay cash if you dont want to deal with invoices

Sponsored Links
Why dont you just open an account with them ?
Can collect in store, and pay cash if you dont want to deal with invoices
I have had an online account with them for years now and I seem to remember at one point they removed joe public from that privilege too. Must have had a change of heart!

I got an option to pick up at counter on payment but a statement said I required some form of proof that I was a trading company. I know from previous experience they will not accept anything less.

They are just as uptight when it comes to ringing the technical help line to ask about their own products.

NO account number - no speaky techy.... :(

They are just as uptight when it comes to ringing the technical help line to ask about their own products.

NO account number - no speaky techy.... :(

.....And their website - you can look at the pretty pictures, but no technical inforation unless you log in

I use the Leeds trade counter.

I just take in a buisiness card with me. They are happy to accept this as proof of being a trades person there.

I seem to remember something about it being for ass covering purposes. Some of the stuff they sell can be dangerous if used incorrectly. By selling to trade only, then the onus to use the product properly is passed onto the person buying the product.

Can you use Farnell? RS are ok I use them all the time for work.
We spend lots of money with them so I get to meet the rep every quarter when he is in our area.
He always has a case of goodies with him, and shows us lot of the new products that are out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back