Anyone delt with Western Power Distribution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Im going to give them a ring tomorrow and try and blag a meter move from an understairs location to outside. Has anyone ever delt with them and are they likely to move my meter for free (ish) or will I have to pay a fortune?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why do you think you will get something for free where most people would have to pay a small fortune? Have you a reason they should move it for free?

Free is being a little optimistic!! I was wondering what excuses people have used to try and get it less than £1000+. I would like it moving closer to the road on my outside wall but ive heard this could cost a bomb.

My experience with WPD was very good.

I needed a new supply from the street. Quoted as £3000 which I paid in advance. Surveyor came to check the details before the crew came. He suggested a change in the location of the joint to the main cable from under my driveway to under the grass verge would save " a few pennies ". The final bill was £ 900 and the refund of £ 2100 was processed within a week.

Excellent service.

Sponsored Links
Jesus, that's a right result Bernard.

Im going to give them a ring now and see what they say.

what do they actually do? Obviously move the meter and consumer fuse to a box outside so would they lay new tails in to re-connect the existing CU or is that my responsibility? (im thinking the latter).

would they lay new tails in to re-connect the existing CU or is that my responsibility? (im thinking the latter).

your responsibility.

Ask if they will install an isolator, then you or your electrician can connect CU tails without working live.

If they won't then you will have to provide an isolator (or switchfuse depending on distance to CU) ready for them to connect into.

Well first mistake, my DNO is southern Electric. Whoops

Anyway just gave them a ring and explained why I wanted it moving and they seem to think it'll cost around £200-£500 but I've just filled in an application to get a move accurate price. I also asked for an isolator so the CU can be replaced at a later date. I thought that estimate was pretty good but ill see what they come back with.

Ahh yes, but the DNO is Scottish & Southern Energy

Southern Electric is to who you pay for the delivery of the electricity.
There is a difference

Southern Electric is a trading name of:
SSE Energy Supply Limited for the
Supply of Electricity, Home Phone, Broadband and Feed in Tariffs

In the context of the OP's question, the move of the meter is the responsibility of the infrastucture provider (the DNO) = Scottish & Southern Energy

In the context of the OP's question, the move of the meter is the responsibility of the infrastucture provider (the DNO) = Scottish & Southern Energy
I suspect you mean 'the move of the cutout'. The way these things seem to work, I suspect that it would probably be a different bunch of guys responsible for actually moving the meter, wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough but a technicality. t is the same company.
Oh, they 'do their own meters', do they? That's not the case with all DNOs, is it? I'm sure that last time I had a meter change, the 'operative' belonged (or was affiliated) to a company I'd never heard of.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back