moving electric meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I am new to this site so I hope I am posting this in the right area.
I want to move an electricity meter 3 feet from one wall to an adjoining wall (both inside)I believe I have to have it done by Western electricity ? or is it legal to get an independent electrician to do it?
I wondered if anyone has had a similar move and if anyone may have an idea of cost. It is such a small move that Im hoping the cost is going to be a silly price.
many thanks for your advice :)

Sponsored Links
it has to be done by the electricity company.

It might not actually be the company that sends you your electricity bill that does the work, but as you are their customer they are the first people to contact.

Some electricity companies are not very good at dealing with queries on the phone, in which case send them a short letter.

A lot depends on how old the cable is (old ones do not like being moved and bent); whether it comes down from a pole or up from the ground; if it is buried in concrete, and if there is enough slack to reach your new position.

Photos will help us comment.

Sponsored Links
the tails going into the top of your company fuse block look extremely old. Are they cotton and rubber insulation? Are these the incoming supply, and where do they come from?

Please move those boxes of light bulbs and stuff and take another pic, especially of the cables on the right. Preferably use the flash or hold the camera steady so it is not blurred

If the old tails go through the wall, please show them to us on the other side

p.s. if you are touching the old tails to see what they are made of, only touch the left hand one, that goes into the side where the green and yellow cable comes out. See if it feels perished or if there are any visible cracks

p.p.s. Why do you want it moved?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back