Anyone have experience building ferrocement structures?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning an extension which i hope to do as a part self build project. It's a very ambitious project requiring the fabrication of custom shaped window frames and the use of the slightly obscure ferrocement build method, ( steel wire / rebar structure impregnated with a ferrocement mix) Any one have experience building using this method? I'm aware it's more popular on the continent and in the states and is somewhat rarer in the uk.

Sponsored Links
holy hell, what did the planners say?

I personally like it and am all for different buildings in the right context.

That's not an extension, it's an art installation!

*Like*

holy hell, what did the planners say?

I personally like it and am all for different buildings in the right context.

Thanks. When they'd stopped laughing they were surprisingly constructive actually. As it's in a back garden and not visible by the general public the only real issue is neighbours and shadow, which is okay as both neighbours have just built extensions out to the same distance. They said there would have been a problem with a lack of visual compatibility with the rest of the street (materials/shape) , but as it can't be seen from the road this shouldn't be a problem. Structural planning guy said it looked very solid and should be fine (ferrocement curvilinear structures are used to build bomb shelters apparently!) just suggested i do some tests on water run off for the full application. Should point out this was only an initial consultation and i haven't been through the whole approval process yet.

Sponsored Links
Fantastic living space.
Curves and angles like that look so natural and aesthetically superior. Takes us back to our caveman days I think.

What could be more perfect for neanderthal man than coming home to a space like that after a long days hunting and mrs neanderthal with half a buffalo on the spit. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back