Where to buy custom shaped windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning an extension which i hope to do as a part self build project. Its very ambitious and involves the fabrication of custom shaped window frames. Does any one know any companies that fabricate custom shaped windows? They are very irregular shapes as illustrated in the attached images and will need to be double glazed, (but are however intended to use flat panels of glass not curved, as this may be slightly unclear in the images)

Sponsored Links
Are the windows in metal rather than timber? I would suspect so. Honestly I think you would be better off contacting metal fabricators as your first port of call. Try googling any in your area or even the good old yellow pages. We hd circular port hole type of window put into my parents house so shaped , but flat , windows should be possible from any decent double glazing company. Won't be cheap mind.
All that aside what is the building constructed of and do you have planning permission for such an extentsion on what looks like a very conventional house?

Are the windows in metal rather than timber? I would suspect so. Honestly I think you would be better off contacting metal fabricators as your first port of call. Try googling any in your area or even the good old yellow pages. We hd circular port hole type of window put into my parents house so shaped , but flat , windows should be possible from any decent double glazing company. Won't be cheap mind.
All that aside what is the building constructed of and do you have planning permission for such an extentsion on what looks like a very conventional house?

Thanks for the advice. I'm open to any suggestions for the window frame material. probably what ever is cheapest. I'll do as you suggest and contact some local metal fabricators. The building is planned to be constructed from ferrocement (building method popular on continent and USA but rare here. involves a metal wire mesh and rebar structure with impregnated ferrocemnet over the top)

In terms of planning I've had an initial consultation with the planners. Apparently as it's in a back garden and not visible by the general public the only real issue is neighbours and shadow, which is okay as far as i can tell as both neighbours have just built extensions (recently, so they are still grateful for me not making a fuss :) ) They said there would have been a problem with a lack of visual compatibility with the rest of the street (materials/shape) , but as it can't be seen from the road this shouldn't be a problem. Structural planning guy said it looked very solid and should be fine (ferrocement curvilinear structures are used to build bomb shelters apparently! so no danger of it being unstable) They just suggested i do some tests on water run off for the full application. They also said the construction of window frames would be by far the biggest challenge.

Should point out this was only an initial consultation and i haven't been through the whole approval process yet.

Thanks for the advice. I'm open to any suggestions for the window frame material. probably what ever is cheapest.

more likely to be the quote that is just under 70k as opposed to just over

Sponsored Links
the problem is you have 12-15 windows none with strait edges no 2 the same so every component has to be specially made

i simply don't know the costs but wouldn't be surprised if i have guessed a bit low

i have the feeling you where expecting less than 10k this will never happen in my opinion but it is only my opinion

the point i am making is do your homework before you build otherwise your stuffed
simplifying your curves or standardizing several components will bring it down
until you get a hard fast quote don't do anything

the problem is you have 12-15 windows none with strait edges no 2 the same so every component has to be specially made

i simply don't know the costs but wouldn't be surprised if i have guessed a bit low

i have the feeling you where expecting less than 10k this will never happen in my opinion but it is only my opinion

the point i am making is do your homework before you build otherwise your stuffed
simplifying your curves or standardizing several components will bring it down
until you get a hard fast quote don't do anything

Thanks for the advice. Yes i shall definitely not be doing anything until the whole project is thoroughly priced and i have planning permission and a comprehensive build plan. i was hoping i could do the frames for less than 10k but that was based on hope and not on any facts whatsoever. I agree i definitely need to get educated in this subject before i reach for my credit card, so thanks for the tips. I suspect you know a lot more about this subject than i do.

If you do have a pot of gold hidden away somewhere to fund this project do keep us informed of the build or any developments.

If you do have a pot of gold hidden away somewhere to fund this project do keep us informed of the build or any developments.

Thanks i'll post up how it all develops over the next few years. My pot of gold is small (certainly smaller than 70k for some window frames anyway!) So the posts may dry up when the real world gets back to me with a quote :) .. I have a fair amount of free time and am a quick learner and have tackled a number of overly ambitious projects before, so will remain optimistic for the time being; but we'll see how it all goes. Time to reality check a season of Grand Designs i think!

ok different tack
find out exactly what is practical and cost effective for a double glazing company to make in the way off glass only

find out from building control what is required as in glass type percentage off glass in relation to heat loss ect

then enrol in a carpentry course at the local college explain your predicament and allow the tutor free reign and complete exemption from come back from damage offer to buy all materials and make an appropriate contribution to funds
your carpentry course will last around 2 to 3 years

allow him to let the level 3 to manufacture your frames as and when need be to fit the glazing units you supply

you will need an accurate plan off radius and face angles to allow good assembly

any way enquire as above and my suggestion and let us know how you get on no matter what route you take :D

ok different tack
find out exactly what is practical and cost effective for a double glazing company to make in the way off glass only

find out from building control what is required as in glass type percentage off glass in relation to heat loss ect

then enrol in a carpentry course at the local college explain your predicament and allow the tutor free reign and complete exemption from come back from damage offer to buy all materials and make an appropriate contribution to funds
your carpentry course will last around 2 to 3 years

allow him to let the level 3 to manufacture your frames as and when need be to fit the glazing units you supply

you will need an accurate plan off radius and face angles to allow good assembly

any way enquire as above and my suggestion and let us know how you get on no matter what route you take :D

This sounds like a great idea and feasible as i am in no particular hurry. I shall definitely investigate this if, as seems likely, aluminium fabrication is too expensive. Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back