Anyone help with what this pipe is as what it does?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m struggling to work out what this pipe is? I have the usual pipes, trap and the pipe going outside. This thinner pipe which also goes outside and appears to be leaking. It’s a new build house (7 years old). I want to try to explain to a plumber before I get them out and incur a call out charge. Many thanks!
7481233E-8C78-48C5-8137-C5475767E6D8.jpeg

Attachments

• 11123E7F-3D14-4F3B-BFC6-9E81900DEEC5.jpeg
    11123E7F-3D14-4F3B-BFC6-9E81900DEEC5.jpeg
    235.3 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
Do you have a boiler on the other side of the wall?
Or tanks in the loft?
It's an overflow pipe.

Thank you for the reply, the boiler is further along the wall, 2/3 cupboards away. It is in the other cupboard with an open door in the attached photo.

Attachments

• 4978CF5F-3110-4805-8457-52116B118CC1.jpeg
    4978CF5F-3110-4805-8457-52116B118CC1.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 98
Possibly the condensate pipework from the boiler. I doubt it goes outside,can you see it externally ??

Sponsored Links
Why did I not think of that, no there’s only the normal waste pipe outside. I do have this pipe under the boiler rather than the sink which goes into the wall which I’ve had British Gas out too before as that was leaving water pools on the shelf of another cupboard.
9EE0195E-E26F-4C95-9F2B-06E5C2862A70.jpeg

There are two pipes in pic ,both going into wall, the white plastic is the condensate ,the right hand one is pressure relief. On the other side of the wall..external wall ?..is there only one pipe ( the metal one)

Seen plenty of new builds with (boiler) condensate pipes connected up this way - this is what I think it is.

Last edited:
There are two pipes in pic ,both going into wall, the white plastic is the condensate ,the right hand one is pressure relief. On the other side of the wall..external wall ?..is there only one pipe ( the metal one)
Yes just one going outside to the grid/drain. It has only happened now I think about it since I put the heating on at the end of last week!

Seen plenty of new builds with condensate pipes connected up this way - this is what I think it is.
Thanks. Least I know what I’m saying is leaking now when I ring someone to have a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back