Anyone Here got experience with C-Bus?

Peet,

Can you provide a link to the boxes you used to mound your DIN rail connections in? Would be really helpful.

Cheers,
Will

Sponsored Links
Peet,

Can you provide a link to the boxes you used to mound your DIN rail connections in? Would be really helpful.

Cheers,
Will

I used these
http://tempapano.com/english.asp?id=101
Search round for a distributor in the UK. I've built quite a few panels with Schneider enclosures and these are much cheaper but the same quality. Well turned out, robust and with a good backplate. I went for the EKO series and the metal variants. From memory, one to take 40-60 terminals (the number for each lighting circuit was about £39. DIN rail was about £2 per 2M. The strip to bus the neutrals wasn't easy to find in lengths over 10 ways so i made those. Terminals were standard 6mm pitch ones.

But don't overlook the beauty of KISS.

There's a lot in that and it should be kept in mind. I think a big part of it is to create something that 'assists' life but does not 'rule' it. Many times I've seen systems created that could of been very useful but they failed or hindered due to not been well executed. Often it was in the finer detail that they failed, in the finishing off that would of been the transistion between being cumbersome to seemlessly disappearing.

That I feel is the challenge, to make something that assists but actually isn't prominent.

For the system I've just done the additional work wasn't that much when the building is being gutted anyway. There's an additional benefit that at some point the layout of the ground floor will change, light switch & lamp functions change but there's no modification to the electrics other than some link changes in the control box. The lighting ties into the fire/smoke alarm for when the building is rented out. With people who maybe be new to the place its an additional helpful feature.

Having recently stayed somewhere that had automatic low level LED lighting for landing night time use and the occasional trip to the loo when others are in bed I found it quite useful.

And then there's an interest of mine which is - how do people interact with buildings and how do they use them.

I also learn more about what's about these days and that'll probably find its way into the commercial work I do.

For building control and financial return the big thing to look at now is heating. The smaller modern lights have reduced in power consumption far enough to not be a consequence whether one is left on or not in comparison to heating losses. Heating is costly and is likely to continue to rise. The two ends to that are 'how much are you putting in' and 'how much are you losing'. The building has had the same treatment for this, getting zoned heating for every room and a temperature sensor in every room. I don't think it'll be very long before it pays for itself.

I find it fascinating (which is good as failing that I'd find it sad) that you don't have to step very far away from the normal run_of_the_mill ways of doing stuff before you're viewed as strange. I've lost count of the number of times somebody has said to me 'i've never been asked that before' when enquiring about something. There's a huge number of people about that automatically pidgeon hole stuff and for reasons that thay have sadly never stopped to consider.

I always remember a friend having work inspected by an inspector and it being condemned as he'd re-used all the original seriously old light fittings in keeping with the house. And yes these fitting had no place on a 240 supply. But even after explaining to the chap that they now controlled only control gear he still wouldn't have it. At which point my friend unscrewed a plate, licked his fingers and stuck them into the fitting. The inspector stopped and realised his gaff. He turned his automatic pilot off and properly assessed the situation and was entirely happy with it.

Push the boat out Will, and create. Even better if you can create something genuinely useful that makes people stop and think.

Sponsored Links
A very interesting post, I must agree with all you say, the system must help life and not run my life. Funny you mention heating, I used to work for Satchwell and worked on large commercial projects, zone control, Etc. PID loops, you name it. I actually use a smart thermostat t the moment, Eco Bee, it's connects to Internet, allows me to set temps, eat form my iPhone, when I am working out late and can hold off heating the house and wasting energy.

My control solution for me new house, I plan I intergrate, lighting, all LED of course, low level night lighting sounds like a great idea too. Will link in with my IP cameras and heating control, and maybe even the alarm system. Currently if the alarm is set off, I receive photos from all camera to my phone via email. This is the sort of thing I enjoy. But also the kit must not look industrial from the user point of view, looks of switch plates, touch panels, etc are important.

Going to be a good project, and I can't wait to start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back