Anyone here watch snooker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gripe is to do with camera angles. High majority of the time the tv directors default to the traditional shot used for decades, a few feet in the air shot from top cushion (black ball) end. Same shot as tennis. Whilst they are getting better with different shots e.g. side on, overhead, even some from the baulk end, for me they still use the default angle way too much. If we could choose via red button I'd go with overhead for much of the play, followed by side on. And they need to show more from baulk end, so what if we see the main cameras in the shot, who cares? Would mix things up a bit.

That's it really, a general moan. If any on here watch the game, do you agree/disagree with me?

Sponsored Links
I grew up with three channels and no remote and forced to watch Pot Black and the Embassy Championships at Easter. I'm now psychologically scarred just at the thought of this dull game.

However, I do recall cameras placed in the pockets in more recent times.

Sponsored Links
I grew up with three channels and no remote and forced to watch Pot Black and the Embassy Championships at Easter. I'm now psychologically scarred just at the thought of this dull game.

However, I do recall cameras placed in the pockets in more recent times.

Yeah it's not everyone's cup of tea I'll grant you that :) I quite like watching due to the relative calmness of the whole thing and the skill element of course. Although depending on who's playing, I don't watch every match.

I like watching snooker but, there used to be more characters in the game and it was more fun to watch.

Overhead shot is terrible, a glance from above is ok to get the overall positions of balls.
I love the overhead, and when they show the opposite of the top cushion shot i.e. from baulk end. In this day and age there's no excuse for showing the same angle 90% of the time. Boring. And no, I'm not advocating the camera shot changing every 5 secs, it's obviously not that sort of sport. But when they change to other angles it's only ever for a few secs.

Ok ... I'll stop moaning now :)

It's the stunning visual effect that should have Morrissey as its sound track. At Dignitas*.

*Is it true they have Cheerios for breakfast there. :D

The snooker highlight of my lifetime was the pro-celebrity tv series, Les Dawson was playing with Kenny Lynch. Whilst Kenny Lynch was lining up for a shot, Dawson said 'don't pot the black, it might be a relative'. Kenny laughed so much he had tears running down his face.

Sponsored Links
Back