anyone know how much

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know how much gas a calor gas bottle holds. Shall we say a 68kg bottle.

Reason i ask is that we are trying to work out if its cheaper to have a portable heater off a calor gas bottle or a direct supply to a gas heater (this is for a unit)

I think it must be much cheaper to have a proper piped supply. However i have someone else that thinks its about the same price.

Does anyone know how many cubic meters a bottle holds so i can work out a price please?

Sponsored Links
LPG has always been more exensive than NG but can't tell you the difference as everyone has differing price plans.

LPG is measured in Litres, because it's in liquid form as opposed to natural gas which is delivered as a gas. I think propane expands by about 270 times when changing from a liquid to a gas. So, four Litres of liquid gas would turn into about one cubic meter of gas.
Is that what you wanted to know?

LPG is measured in Litres, because it's in liquid form as opposed to natural gas which is delivered as a gas. I think propane expands by about 270 times when changing from a liquid to a gas. So, four Litres of liquid gas would turn into about one cubic meter of gas.
Is that what you wanted to know?

Ye sort of! LOL

maybe some more help please.

CAn anyone work out how many cub'meters a 68kg calor gas bottle would hold / give me if i opened the valve in a large area ?

If i know this i can compare what pay for a calor gas bottle to what i pay for the gas that gets piped into my house.

Thanks everyone

Sponsored Links
have you tried google, just a thought, no offence if you have tried. :idea:

yes i have mate, however i cant find a answer.

Saying that, im a bit daft when i try and search stuff on google. I never seem to be able to find the answers but other people always seem to manage in secounds??

I did a little search and found that 507.7 kg/m3, liquid and 1.83 kg/m3, gas.
You should now be able to work it out.

i dont understand? do you mean that 507.7 gas is equal to 1.83 lquid?

Sorry if i sound stupid here. Im dyslexic and me and numbers dont mix.

Its like a foreign languge to me.

right, my maths works out that a £40 quid (68kg bottle of gas) is the same as me using £38,794 of pipe feed gas!

Would really appreasiate someone doing the maths for me. :oops:

so.. if 1m³ = 507.7Kg ( liquid ) ..
and 1m³ = 1.83 Kg ( gas )
then

507.7 / 1.83 = liquid to gas expansion ration ( lets call it E )

ie Em³ at 1.83Kg = 507.7Kg.

so 1m³ of liquid expands to 277.43m³ of gas..

now I don't know if the bottle weight include the bottle or just the liquid in them..
but a 68Kg bottle ( assuming it's all liquid weight ) = 68 / 507.7 = 0.134m³ liquid
0.134 x 277.43 = 37.176m³ gas ..

so.. if 1m³ = 507.7Kg ( liquid ) ..
and 1m³ = 1.83 Kg ( gas )
then

507.7 / 1.83 = liquid to gas expansion ration ( lets call it E )

ie Em³ at 1.83Kg = 507.7Kg.

so 1m³ of liquid expands to 277.43m³ of gas..

now I don't know if the bottle weight include the bottle or just the liquid in them..
but a 68Kg bottle ( assuming it's all liquid weight ) = 68 / 507.7 = 0.134m³ liquid
0.134 x 277.43 = 37.176m³ gas ..

Thanks alot.

so i have to 'x' the 37.176m3 by what my gas supplier (pipe) charges me and i have the answer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back