Anyone know how to build a kite?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've spent loooads of time searching and watching youtube videos. So, yes, I can build a kite... but wanted more information.

I want the science behind it - like for a traditional kite shape, the ratio of the cross wood to the vertical needs to be xyz and placed xx cm from the top. + Other things like weighting and the significance of the tails and how to best judge and make adjustments if the kits doesn't fly well.

And then a lot more...! Like other shapes.

I've seen tutorials on how to make pyramid ones from straws. They look just amazing.

I've flown ones I bought in the pound shop - it was magic - it was like having your own bird who has life at the end of the string. (Others I tried from the pound shop were rubbish).

Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
The science behind kites must be v similair to gliding.Not that different from powered flight.Principles will be the same.Lift,drag,centre of gravity,etc.All very interesting.We used to make kites as kids with nothing much more than lats from walls,newspaper and a bit string.New nothing of the aerodynamics

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
They have a lot more in common with a sailing boat sail than a gliders wing. Gliders produce lift the same way a powered plane does. The difference is the glider descends in order get air speed over the wing. The pilot has to hunt for warm air currents to balance the lost altitude gaining speed to get lift. A kite simply deflects wind to create thrust to counter gravity. This is basically how a boat sail works in non-running points of sail. The shape is about stability and handling.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
thanks guys
i think i might buy a book

Sponsored Links
Gliders produce lift the same way a powered plane does....without the engines you mean?a kite cannot ever create thrust..it has no engines.the aerofoil moving forward in the air creates lift.

gliders use aerofoils like modern planes. kites use deflection like a sailing boat or early plane. The force pushing the kite forward as a result of the wind deflection is called thrust. i.e newton’s 3rd law etc

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust

gliders use aerofoils like modern planes. kites use deflection like a sailing boat or early plane. The force pushing the kite forward as a result of the wind deflection is called thrust. i.e newton’s 3rd law etc

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust
Wrong.Its called lift.Thrust is generated by propellers or engines as the opposite and equal force to the workings of the engine or the hot gases emitted from the exhaust of a jet.early planes always had engines!

APOLOGIES ...It would appear i have talking utter crap about kites and thust!...oh well.another school day!

I've spent loooads of time searching and watching youtube videos. So, yes, I can build a kite... but wanted more information.

I want the science behind it - like for a traditional kite shape, the ratio of the cross wood to the vertical needs to be xyz and placed xx cm from the top. + Other things like weighting and the significance of the tails and how to best judge and make adjustments if the kits doesn't fly well.

And then a lot more...! Like other shapes.

I've seen tutorials on how to make pyramid ones from straws. They look just amazing.

I've flown ones I bought in the pound shop - it was magic - it was like having your own bird who has life at the end of the string. (Others I tried from the pound shop were rubbish).

Thanks. :)

my father in law...being a scientist made one just like a hang gliders 3 sticks coming to a point and covered with rip stop nylon, strong fishing line as a string...lost it now over the years...had it in 1976
we were flying it on holiday in Rhosneigr..and pretty high...the campsite office sent a warden down and told us to take it down...valley phoned over and complained it was interefering with some raf signals

On a slightly different topic - one of the most amazing experiences I did was learning to fly a paraglider in the Pyrenees - 400 euro for a 5 day course - We were flying by ourself with radio contact by the 2nd day. It was unreal to be drifting over the trees and hearing everything below. I can't normally look down from a ladder.

I tried one of the non framed ones, just material. This was so I can raise an aerial wire a few hundred feet in the air.
Apparently they work extremely well as an aerial. Unfortunately the string brok on mine (was only a cheap one) so I gave up.
It's quite hard to find a good place to fly a kite nowadays, parks forbid them on H&S grounds, open fields on hills have damn windmills on.

Beaches - normally have kite zones. I have a couple of foil kites (a 4 string and a 2 string) and a mountain board, which with a decent wind is enough to get moving on a sandy beach.

Sponsored Links
Back