Anyone know what this insect is? Pest control advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a rented first floor flat recently and in the kitchen there are small cockroach like bugs with 2 antenna. They are brownish with a lighter spot on their back. There are lots of tiny baby ones and sometimes we see larger ones which run very fast, about 1cm to 1.5cm long.

There was saw dust under the cupboards and some water behind the fridge which we have cleaned up.

They seem to be able to run up walls really easily and have seem them in other rooms although I think they came from the kitchen.

Can anyone help to ID what these are and offer any advice?

A pic attached!

Sponsored Links
Think you can rest assured they are not 'roaches', however, many years ago I had a plague of some kind of beetle so captured one in a small container and took it to the university.
They helped identify it, (can't remember what it was), and told me to buy some powder to clear them up.
Beats going to a local shop and just buying ant-powder.

Try a "crawling insect spray"

"Dethlac" used to be best known, but there are plenty more. They dry to leave a film on the floor which the insects pick up through their feet (true!)

You can get it in any hardware store or supermarket. It is tidier than powder and does not get disturbed until you wash or wetmop the floor or sponge out the cupboards.

Looks to me like the common furnture beetle - woodworm in other words.

You need a big pump sprayer and access under floorboards. Not your problem - contact the landlord.

Sponsored Links
That looks a lot like an immature cockroache.

You said it runs up walls very fast, and it has the markings and shape of an immature cockroach.

Failing that, it could be a spider beetle, but the antennae look too short.

You said it runs up walls very fast, and it has the markings and shape of an immature cockroach.

Yeah, following further research, I reckon this might be a 'german cockroach'.

Yeah, following further research, I reckon this might be a 'german cockroach'.

Bleedin heck it speaks german as well :eek:

You need a big pump sprayer and access under floorboards. Not your problem - contact the landlord.

Definitely not anobium punctatum, ie one of us,( common furniture beetle, ) but I don't know what it is.

Definitely not anobium punctatum, ie one of us,( common furniture beetle, ) but I don't know what it is.

Doh! Got mixed up with cm and mm. I usually get mixed up with inches and centimetres.

Get rid of those German cockroaches ...your gas bill will go through the roof

Doh! Got mixed up with cm and mm. I usually get mixed up with inches and centimetres.

bet your missus aint happy then :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
Back