No hot water unless heating on - safety advice needed

Bym

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just wondering if anyone could shed any light on our problem.

We have a Worcester 24i RSF Combi boiler, in rented accomodation, and have had no end of trouble with it. Last year we had no heating or hot water for over a week, the system was descaled and parts replaced. The problem seemed to start with leaking hot water taps.

Again this year we had no heating and hot water for almost a fortnight at the coldest part of the year. I told them that both hot water taps were leakng again, but they said that couldn't be the problem. They again replaced parts (including the fan), and it worked, although the hot water pressure was not the same as before. The cold water pressure is fine, we can't go turning that up any more really.

Now we have leaky dribbling hot water taps, and no hot water unless the heating is on. When the heating is on the radiators are lethally hot, despite having been turned down, and the hot water comes out at an equally lethal temperate, and trickles out. It took one hour to run a tiny bath of water for my son, for example.

I am guessing this is not really safe - should we be using this system at all until someone is called out? I am always worried about any major problems, especially with a child around. Any ideas why this could be happening?

I can't imagine having to go another 9 days with no heating or hot water, especially considering we have a baby and another on the way. I have turned it off for now, after I noticed how hot the radiators are.

So sick of useless landlords, why will they just not replace the whole thing?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Coz your landlord is a tight a***d git (I know I work for several)

In my experience the 24i is the most reliable combi around (London water)

Sounds as though the flow restictor may be blocked on yours causing low water flow and hence no activation of the flow switch.

The 24i is the simplest combi boiler around - generally very easy to work on and repair.

Give your landlord an ultimatum that you will take it up with environmental health at the council (and trading standards).

They can enfore the L.L to carry out repairs- (in theory)

None of the tenants I deal with have needed to go that far - the landlord or letting agent has always done someting with a mere threat.

You should also be in possesion on a "Landlord Gas Safety Record".

These are issued each year (by the landlord) and hopefully ensures the installation is safe.

When the engineer turns up check their Corgi I.D card is valid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back