anyone learnt a trade later in life?

From my Plumbing days at college; I believe Im the only one left in the trade.
From my apprenticeship days, I’ve been the only one left in the trade for the last 30 years and that’s only because I've either managed others or ran my own business. I’ve got a 55 year old mate still in the trade and he hates it. I don’t think I could do a five and a half day week in a garage these days being told what to do. In fact, I don’t think I’d make it to lunchtime on day one!

I’d have like to have been a plumber.

Sponsored Links
From my apprenticeship days, I’ve been the only one left in the trade for the last 30 years and that’s only because I've either managed others or ran my own business. I’ve got a 55 year old mate still in the trade and he hates it. I don’t think I could do a five and a half day week in a garage these days being told what to do. In fact, I don’t think I’d make it to lunchtime on day one!

I’d have like to have been a plumber.
Guy I take my car too..probably about 60..works alone...freezin big garage..still plods along skimming heads,Dismantling engines,replacing the guts of them..God knows how he carries on after heart attack and 2 hernias...but it is all he knows .

When I was younger I had a great chip on my shoulder that anything other than being a pilot or R&D in Hospital or electronics etc was way beneath me and so many people seemed to have great lives and great jobs..I thought even dom plumbing was way beneath me as i did Commercial gas...Now I realise it properly makes no difference whether you mend toilets or are a heart surgeon...Everyone is worth just as much and happiness and self worth is so important..

Sponsored Links
Ive seen too many a man spend a lot of money on training to learn a trade; only to discover that they don't have the aptitude for said trade or how to deal with customers in their own home.

I once said to a millionaire that I hated my job and wanted to train for something else. His advise was use your skills that you have learned to maybe move in a different direction. His advise led me to start my own business. Best thing I have ever done. I love my job now.

Ive seen too many a man spend a lot of money on training to learn a trade; only to discover that they don't have the aptitude for said trade or how to deal with customers in their own home.
True. My mate I refer to above is a bloody good mechanic/technician but has no business or people skills and what’s more, he doesn’t want them. He actually hates customers and has no time for them.

The target audience would not generally have the facilities and background to do the sometimes extensive repairs they do anyway and often it's a module swapping exercise, rather fixing the module - unless they have spare screen time. Doing cars up with access to lots of warm space, lots of tools and a lift is easy - not so easy for the home mechanic, struggling on a drive with a little trolley jack.

The world of "doing up" old cars is rarely the glamorous exercise you see on TV or read of in the magazines. It is mostly an ugly business done badly by people on housing estates; the cars in question taking up space on and making an unsightly mess of the roads and pavements.

I wish there was a way of enforcing a "one house, one car" rule.

The world of "doing up" old cars is rarely the glamorous exercise you see on TV or read of in the magazines. It is mostly an ugly business done badly by people on housing estates; the cars in question taking up space on and making an unsightly mess of the roads and pavements.

I wish there was a way of enforcing a "one house, one car" rule.

Would that law allow 1 car and 1 van?

Sponsored Links
Back