anyone learnt a trade later in life?

Someone locally keeps (by the sound of it) a small dog outdoors much of the time, even in cold weather. Every time there is a noise, it starts its yapping. Occasionally I here a scream of pain from it, I have tried reporting the cruelty to the RSPA, but they don't want to know unless I can give them an house number.

I have a slightly yappy under-sized border collie. I have the whole place tightly fenced and gated, so I can let her roam freely if she likes. Her usual MO is to sit by the front gate, watching the world go by for a while, before coming back in the warm. She hates people being on phones and as we are on route to a station at the front, she often sees people passing on their mobiles and starts yapping at them. She barks, then looks back at the front window, to see if anyone is watching, if either of us are, she comes tearing back up the drive to come back in.

An earlier related dog we had, used to sit at the gate, but deliberately hidden by the edge. She would wait until a passer by got level with her then just let out one very loud bark, then watch the reaction as the passer-by jumped.

lol, reminds me of the tv prog 'Keeping Up Appearances.' The main character Hyacinth would be walking up the path to her sister's house. There was an old banger in the front garden and as she walked past it their dog would appear from inside the car and start barking. Hyacinth would fall in fear into the hedge :)

Sponsored Links
I plan on doing the same thing this year fingers Xed... I cant see them having a problem if he works during the week.
Saturdays; noise after ten and Sundays no noise or off.
Exactly what Dan thought.
Mate (Dan) did an 8 hour day Saturdays, Sundays started around 09:00 and finished before 14:00; weekday evenings, if he did any work, he'd start around 18:00 and be finished before 21:00. He is now only working in the house, took his machines away except the dust extractor so any machining work is done off-site.
He is now contemplating selling up rather than moving in.

I was always sceptical about those make over programmes, (especially 60 minute make over with Claire Sweeney presenting), but that community centre confirmed my suspicions. They give people so much false hope.

To be fair the quoted time of a few days does make the program more attractive to viewers, If they revealed the true amount of time taken then the program would be less attractive to viewers. No matter how long the project takes the end product does give hope to the people who benefit from the conversion of their building. I am sure that some of the viewers are influenced by the program enough to become proactive in helping their community which has to be good result for the program.

For what it is worth

Back in 1979 when we were about to start our self build a TV production company asked if we would be willing to have the build filmed for a program about self build. We were advised to reject the offer. Merging the timescale of building with the availability of the film crew would have delayed work. And if the sun was not in the right place for best light for filming then that bit of work would have to wait until the sun moved.

Exactly what Dan thought.
Mate (Dan) did an 8 hour day Saturdays, Sundays started around 09:00 and finished before 14:00; weekday evenings, if he did any work, he'd start around 18:00 and be finished before 21:00. He is now only working in the house, took his machines away except the dust extractor so any machining work is done off-site.
He is now contemplating selling up rather than moving in.

Shame if he could work office hours then I don't think the neighbours could be so objective.

Sponsored Links
To be fair the quoted time of a few days does make the program more attractive to viewers, If they revealed the true amount of time taken then the program would be less attractive to viewers. No matter how long the project takes the end product does give hope to the people who benefit from the conversion of their building. I am sure that some of the viewers are influenced by the program enough to become proactive in helping their community which has to be good result for the program.

For what it is worth

Back in 1979 when we were about to start our self build a TV production company asked if we would be willing to have the build filmed for a program about self build. We were advised to reject the offer. Merging the timescale of building with the availability of the film crew would have delayed work. And if the sun was not in the right place for best light for filming then that bit of work would have to wait until the sun moved.
But you missed out on meeting a 20 year old Kevin McCloud! :(

Jokes aside I'd be interested to know if the production company in question went on to produce some of the early series in the home build/improvement genre.

But you missed out on meeting a 20 year old Kevin McCloud! :(

I cannot recall which production company but it was not for the Grand Designs series which started in 1999, ironically the first episode was about a timber framed kit house. That said I think that program concept was formed up in 1989.

Shame if he could work office hours then I don't think the neighbours could be so objective.

Well does have to go to work (Dan has to earn a wage); with the recent tiering restrictions he has been able to be in the house a couple of week days (his work is down to just very few jobs) for 3 weeks - the complaints continued.
He has been told this week that another neighbour has been visited following a complaint - looks like the newcomers just hate anyone having work done in or on their properties...

Back