anyone learnt a trade later in life?

The world of "doing up" old cars is rarely the glamorous exercise you see on TV or read of in the magazines. It is mostly an ugly business done badly by people on housing estates; the cars in question taking up space on and making an unsightly mess of the roads and pavements.

I wish there was a way of enforcing a "one house, one car" rule.
I sometimes wonder about this when watching people on YouTube that tinker with cars. Many of them do this on their own drive and, in situations where they have neighbours either side, I do wonder what said neighbours must think with the daily car fixing noises.

Sponsored Links
No one does, apart from me fixing my own car, but I obviously wouldn't have any objections to someone working on their own personal car. I would object to anyone turning their home into a garage, fixing up old cars to resell, operating a business 'on the side'.

Flipping cars & motorcycles is/can be a very lucrative hobby/business.

Buy cheap, do it up, sell high.

What could possibly go wrong???

; the cars in question taking up space on and making an unsightly mess of the roads and pavements.

Presuming they're taxed, MOT'd and insured? Otherwise they should be repaired off the road.

Can't say I've often found my neighbourhood littered with people restoring classic cars. Sounds much more interesting where you are.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I sometimes wonder about this when watching people on YouTube that tinker with cars. Many of them do this on their own drive and, in situations where they have neighbours either side, I do wonder what said neighbours must think with the daily car fixing noises.

Much rather have a car nut next to me than people who turn their yapping dogs out for hours on end morning noon and night to annoy neighbours. The dog owners seem oblivious to the racket.

Much rather have a car nut next to me than people who turn their yapping dogs out for hours on end morning noon and night to annoy neighbours. The dog owners seem oblivious to the racket.
Then they come out shouting "Trixie you naughty girl, come to mummy"

Talking about doing things up and editing the programmes before airing them reminded me of an episode of DIY SOS that they did near me when I lived in Liverpool.
They had 3 days to re-vamp a local community centre in time for some big event. When the programme was shown on TV it 'took 3 full days'. In reality they were working on it for over 3 weeks with all kinds of builders vans parked along the dual carriageway outside and working late into the night 7 days a week. I was always sceptical about those make over programmes, (especially 60 minute make over with Claire Sweeney presenting), but that community centre confirmed my suspicions. They give people so much false hope.

Tbh I'd rather have neither. Someone occasionally working on a car fine, however daily it would start to irritate me depending on the noises being generated. One of my neighbours drive is but a few feet from my lounge window. He used to work on motorbikes and not only did I need to keep my windows shut cause of the noise, I also had to do this due to exhaust fumes.

Best dog story I have is this. Years back I was painting my garage door. Somewhere close by a little dog (it's usually little dogs) was yap yap yapping non stop. A few mins later from somewhere else, all you heard was someone shouting 'FOR GODS SAKE WILL YOU SHUT THAT DOG UP!!!' Approx. 10 secs later the dog couldn't be heard. I suspect the whole cul-de-sac was secretly thanking that person :)

Talking about doing things up and editing the programmes before airing them reminded me of an episode of DIY SOS that they did near me when I lived in Liverpool.
They had 3 days to re-vamp a local community centre in time for some big event. When the programme was shown on TV it 'took 3 full days'. In reality they were working on it for over 3 weeks with all kinds of builders vans parked along the dual carriageway outside and working late into the night 7 days a week. I was always sceptical about those make over programmes, (especially 60 minute make over with Claire Sweeney presenting), but that community centre confirmed my suspicions. They give people so much false hope.
Everything on TV is managed even the news, go and see a programme being made and all will be revealed

Presuming they're taxed, MOT'd and insured? Otherwise they should be repaired off the road.

Can't say I've often found my neighbourhood littered with people restoring classic cars. Sounds much more interesting where you are.

I'm not talking about classic cars being lovingly restored by amateur enthusiasts! Old bangers bought from auctions more like. Yes, if they're legal they can be on a public road, but I've seen houses with 4,5 or 6 cars on both sides of the adjacent street, all sporting "For Sale £500" signs.

Not all cars on the road are legal. Many have no road tax - you can check this online but if you report it to the police they will do nothing. Many cars have illegal number plates (to evade speed cameras). Report this to the police and they say "not you again".

And don't get me started on taxis! Anyone who enjoys living in a vibrant, multicultural area will be familiar with the house on every street that runs a Private Hire business.

The world of "doing up" old cars is rarely the glamorous exercise you see on TV or read of in the magazines. It is mostly an ugly business done badly by people on housing estates; the cars in question taking up space on and making an unsightly mess of the roads and pavements.

From what I've seen many neighbours don't think working on road going cars objectionable - even as a business.

But - mate has been refurbishing a house in his spare time; working from the garage at the house for 8 hours on a Saturday, 4 or 5 hours on a Sunday and in the summer a couple of hours or so 2 or 3 evenings a week. It has all been going well until August this year when new people moved into the road.
Since then he's had letters, visits from police and council following up complaints of noise, him running a business from there and not paying business rates. Only this month has he been informed of the originators of the complaints - the new neighbours.
It now seems unlikely he will be able to finish the house in his planned timescale.

From what I've seen many neighbours don't think working on road going cars objectionable - even as a business.

But - mate has been refurbishing a house in his spare time; working from the garage at the house for 8 hours on a Saturday, 4 or 5 hours on a Sunday and in the summer a couple of hours or so 2 or 3 evenings a week. It has all been going well until August this year when new people moved into the road.
Since then he's had letters, visits from police and council following up complaints of noise, him running a business from there and not paying business rates. Only this month has he been informed of the originators of the complaints - the new neighbours.
It now seems unlikely he will be able to finish the house in his planned timescale.

I plan on doing the same thing this year fingers Xed... I cant see them having a problem if he works during the week.
Saturdays; noise after ten and Sundays no noise or off.

Best dog story I have is this. Years back I was painting my garage door. Somewhere close by a little dog (it's usually little dogs) was yap yap yapping non stop. A few mins later from somewhere else, all you heard was someone shouting 'FOR GODS SAKE WILL YOU SHUT THAT DOG UP!!!' Approx. 10 secs later the dog couldn't be heard. I suspect the whole cul-de-sac was secretly thanking that person

Someone locally keeps (by the sound of it) a small dog outdoors much of the time, even in cold weather. Every time there is a noise, it starts its yapping. Occasionally I here a scream of pain from it, I have tried reporting the cruelty to the RSPA, but they don't want to know unless I can give them an house number.

I have a slightly yappy under-sized border collie. I have the whole place tightly fenced and gated, so I can let her roam freely if she likes. Her usual MO is to sit by the front gate, watching the world go by for a while, before coming back in the warm. She hates people being on phones and as we are on route to a station at the front, she often sees people passing on their mobiles and starts yapping at them. She barks, then looks back at the front window, to see if anyone is watching, if either of us are, she comes tearing back up the drive to come back in.

An earlier related dog we had, used to sit at the gate, but deliberately hidden by the edge. She would wait until a passer by got level with her then just let out one very loud bark, then watch the reaction as the passer-by jumped.

Sponsored Links
Back