Anyone own a Festool? Bit pricey......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered what their target market was, you don't see many domestic tradesmen with Festool stuff.

A grand for a mitre saw and £152 for the hose to connect it to the extractor, thats serious money.

Are they the premium, Rolls Royce of powertools or can you spend more?

Sponsored Links
My mate tools are mostly fes and he raves about them but they are expensive and he does not work out side, being a furniture maker.

ive got a 1/4 inch router its about 15 odd years old now,cost me £450 cash back then but in that time ive only had to have the variable speed switch replaced and that cost £50 for the switch.they are costly but there bloody brillient tools.

I have one of the cordless drills and a dust extractor, but the extractor has been for repair 3 times in 2 years :eek:.

The drill is good and the brushless DC motor is great for longevity, but I can't help feeling that my Bosch GSB18VE2-LI is better.

Sponsored Links
You'll see a lot of professional wooden floor fitters using Festool (as ourselves do). From table saws, plunge saws to sanding equipment - value for money.

Have a TS55 plunge saw and it's fantastic, speeds hanging doors up no end. Not sure it's worth the premium over the other plunge saws on the market though.

Did someone mention Festool. :D
Best tools ever. I have used them for 20 years and now my brother in law who works with me in my workshop has started buying them as well.

Between us we have

TS55 track saw with 4 tracks of different lengths, one is for cabinet hinge holes as the router and jigsaw runs on the track as well.
Kapex mytre saw
OFK 700 trimmer
Planer
OF1010 and OF2200 routers
CMS system base for table routing/sawing etc
RO 150 sander
Detail sander
PS 400 jigsaw
Multi function tables 2 off.
Domino jointing machine, so much better than a biscuit machine
2 mobile vac dust extractors
many systainer boxes.

Yes very pricey gear but lasts for ever. The attention to detail in manufacture is out of this world. Things like power cable and vent pipe exiting at same point so you do not have opposing cable and pipe to deal with.
micro adjustable settings, so accurate cutting. Smooth start and stop.
Repairs when required only take days when sent away. Festool give free tool insurance for theft etc.

The only thing we don't buy is Festool drills.

Steve how do you find the little 1010 router? I'd like a little 1/4 router to use with my hinge jig and for light profiling, chamfering, etc. Like the look of them, just unsure how they wpould perform with the the handle configuration when outing out hinges, especially with the jig vertically when routing the linings.
Cheers.

Steve how do you find the little 1010 router? I'd like a little 1/4 router to use with my hinge jig and for light profiling, chamfering, etc. Like the look of them, just unsure how they wpould perform with the the handle configuration when outing out hinges, especially with the jig vertically when routing the linings.
Cheers.

Most of our work is on the bench, Doug (Bro-in-law) bought the 1010 specifically so we could accurately place holes in cabinet sides for shelf supports and hinge pilot holes and its fantastic.
We were using a trend router and ply template, did the job but took longer and not as accurate.
The handle on the side is no issue to us on the bench and I doubt it would be on site as it is so well balanced. It is smooth, has no kick, stops instantly and easy to handle.
The trend we have been using was slightly lighter and smaller than the 1010 but with an awkward switch crap balance you don't notice the weight and size difference. Also the trend motor sounds like a lawn mower in comparison to the 1010. We still have it but never use it.

Thanks Steve, I'll have to try and have a another look at one at the local suppliers.

Steve how do you find the little 1010 router? I'd like a little 1/4 router to use with my hinge jig and for light profiling, chamfering, etc. Like the look of them, just unsure how they would perform with the the handle configuration when routing out hinges, especially with the jig vertically when routing the linings.
They actually work quite well because the right hand carries the (low) weight. They're also a LOT quieter. I've used an OF1000 on this sort of work for more than 10 years and for me the biggest disadvantage is that Festool don't do a 16mm guide bush (for compatibility with Trend hinge jigs and others) so instead I use a Festool 17mm guide bush together with a 13mm diameter cutter. You won't find many firms doing cheapo 13mm cutters, unlike 12mm ones, but that's how it goes sometimes. BTW the small Festools can't take a Trend/Elu/DW guide bush without resorting to a Unibase or similar and then it won't fit in the carrying case unless you take it off making that a no-go for site jobs in my eyes (time wasted)

Other than that I'm really impressed by the small number of Festools I've acquired; the EHL65 planer runs rings round most other planers for door work, the vacuums are really good, the plunge saws are brilliant (the new Bosch GKT55 is probably better - it's a Mafell) and reliability is good. Just as well because Festool UK/Minden Industrial don't hold any spare parts in the UK which can be, frankly, a pain in the arris when things go wrong, wear out or get broken. If they were serious about the trade market then they'd hold some spares here like Makita and Bosch do

Thanks Steve, I'll have to try and have a another look at one at the local suppliers.

I love festool, however if you will only be using the router once in a blue moon choose a make that will do the job that you can afford. Joinery is our trade, and these tools are meant to earn us money, so we can justify pushing the boat out on the best.

A grand for a mitre saw and £152 for the hose to connect it to the extractor, thats serious money.

Are they the premium, Rolls Royce of powertools or can you spend more?

the price of the tool includes insurance and 48 hr turn around repair service

also £152 jeeze where are you shopping arrods, standard hose that will fit the kapex is about £50

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back