Anyone recognise this gas fitting?

It’s decorative to hide the threads between the two parts of the fitting.

Sponsored Links
I used to overtighten them back in the day and they snapped off all the time.

ffs its not an old washer its as fireman and Sham have already said

Sponsored Links
I have loads of them from my BG days really need to bin them, but scared in case I get called back to some that I squashed, as already advised they are not sealing anything and are purely, decorative.

Many thanks for taking the time for detailed advice. I do have a service contract with BG although it is for the boiler, not for other appliances. The fire has been serviced within the past year - it is usually serviced every autumn because the igniter packs up.

Note what you say re Cadent but presumably this is the equivalent of the BG gas leak line. As there is definitely no leak, I am disinclined to claim there is - and if no leak they ain't interested! Reassured by your conclusion that it IS just a décor ring though. But I will get the fire serviced at the same time.

Put it somewhere safe and when the fire is next serviced, make the engineer a nice cuppa and show it to him saying it came off whilst you were cleaning... If he's a decent sort he'll put you right :)

Fireman is right, it is decorative. But getting in Transco is over the top.

Last edited:
Fireman is right, it is s decorative. But getting in Transco is over the top.

No it isn't. It is not for me or any one else to stop a punter phoning Cadent. The OP was going to phone BG 'cos he was originally worried about a possible leak. The advice was if worried about a leak to not to phone BG, but Cadent.

In this case, it is clear (to some of us :) ) that the item is not a washer.

What IS over the top, if anything, is your post #18
+++some posts deleted including that one so the numbers are changed. mod+++

Last edited by a moderator:
No it isn't. It is not for me or any one else to stop a punter phoning Cadent. The OP was going to phone BG 'cos he was originally worried about a possible leak. The advice was if worried about a leak to not to phone BG, but Cadent.

In this case, it is clear (to some of us :) ) that the item is not a washer.

What IS over the top, if anything, is your post #18

@FiremanT I was about to post "be prepared to be educated" :rolleyes: but Lard Berk was standing by :sick:

Just to close this thread, the fitting has been inspected by BG and the loose part confirmed as decorative. No leak and in working order so left as is.

Thanks for all the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back