Anyone tried the new range of IQ-Group Darkskies lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We will be looking to replace our exterior lights around the house, I notice that B&Q and Argos have started selling a new range of security lights from the IQ-Group.

In particular I was interested in the dual power ones, available in both a round and flood version. From what I have read on the box they work at a lower power at dusk and an internal PIR will switch them to full power if movement is detected.
One the round version it seems to have 2xStd economy bulbs (of the type you would fit in your house), one is on all night and the 2nd one comes on from the PIR.
The 150w/300w flood light verions offer an adjustable dim from something like 10-60w. Looks like it brings a std halogen bulb on at a lower brightness, which then goes to full brightness if the PIR detects movement. Looks like the glass and reflector is designed not to difuse light into the atmosphere as well as they are called 'Darkskies'

Has anyone tried them?

Does it sound reasonable to run a 150w/300w halogen bulb at a lower brightness, will it last and will it therefore draw less power?

Sponsored Links
right I have searched endlessly, but I cannot find what you're talking about online. perhaps you could provide a link. The B&Q website is apalling and argos lists things illogically. google was no help due to the abundance of companies named "IQ" :evil:

I too tried the B&Q website, it says they don't sell external lighting on-line, only in store!

Argos only seem to sell the standard lights, not the dual ones.

Best I have found so far is this http://www.iq-group.com/main.php?section=4&article=&view=2 but it's pretty cr@p.

Screwfix do something similar http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat...H0DVAHIVX1ECSTHZPCFFQ?ts=57193&p=tx3&id=67094 , but it's just the PIR.

Edit:

Argos have a similar one here http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...701/8143&referrer=COJUN&storeId=10001&go.y=11

I think i remember seeing something along the lines of what you're talking about a while ago. It was the shape of a normal floodlight, but has 2 sections, a CFL lamp and an actual 300w halogen lamp. The CFL was on constantly during hours of darkness, and the halogen was switched on by the PIR.

Sponsored Links
These seems to have taken this a step further by using the same bulb, I presume with a lower voltage or restricted current of some kind.

Just wondering if anyone has tried them or if it is correct to assume they will be cheap to run on dawn til dusk.

I use a HI-lo pir on my outside lamp, it uses a normal lamp, and it glows (adjustable) when movement is detected the lamp comes on at full brighness.

being a stand alone pir it can be connected to any light with a normal lamp in it.

breezer said:
I use a HI-lo pir on my outside lamp, it uses a normal lamp, and it glows (adjustable) when movement is detected the lamp comes on at full brighness.

being a stand alone pir it can be connected to any light with a normal lamp in it.

I presume it's similar to the one on the screwfix link I posted above?

Are you happy with it as a solution? Does it save money?

similar yes, save money, it must do since the light is only glowing not bright all night, i insatlled it from new alsong with the light so i have no idea as to how much i save, but its better than having a bright light on all night

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back