Anyone use an infrared thermometer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got the dewalt DCT414 this weekend, at the moment im just teasing the cats with the laser until i get it on site and use it proper, looks a neat piece of kit though, anyone else got one, what do you use yours for?

Sponsored Links
i have used if for taking the kids temperature when they are ill..... (it was same reading as the ear thermometer)

teasing the cat and the 2 year old.....

I tried it for fault finding a couple of times on a pcb but wasnt as useful as I thought when I bought it.

walting around site with!

Thats about it. Seemed like a good idea when I bought it....

now i know why wholesalers put these gadgets on their counters haha

Rob

I like your style ... buy the tool and then find out what you can use it for :LOL:

Not sure how much use it would be for windows and door fitting, but you can go around the edges and see just how cold it is - especially for draughts under doors and around casements

I use it for surveys - to locate cold spots and potential reasons for damp. Check heating emitter performance (or if heating is being used), locating CH and HW pipes, or channels in walls.

Thinking about it, I use it more to determine dissimilar materials than for actual temperature reading

It's a poor man's IR camera :cry:

Sponsored Links
I got mine mainly for checking tyre temps.

Me and the brother race superkarts and amongst other settings tyre pressures are critical, too high and the tyre will over heat towards the end of a race, too low and they won't warm up at all and give no grip. Thing is Dunlop and Bridgestone do not do 'pressure', they work in 'temperature' but temps is something we've never measured, we measure pressures.

Top teams do set their tyre pressures using temp readings but are not willing to give you the info and they certainly won't let you temp probe their tyres so with this gadget i can take readings to my hearts content, from a distance as well, they'll know but can stop me short of covering the kart up straight away.

Remember that the sensor area gets wider the further away you are, its not just where the red dot is. So from a distance, you may not just be reading the tyre temp

Yes its a bit of a draw back with them but i shall try, if i need to be close then so be it, i'll also use it to check for draughts around opening sashes, seem to be getting a lot of them recently

Used one to convince dumb office staff the AC was actually working and that they were definately not boiling, though, one ot the red heads was quite hot. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back