Anyone use selco?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was wondering what the general opinion on selco is? are they flexible on price for bulk purchase? is the easiedge timber they sell good quality? starting an extension in jan really fedup with all the sales waffle from travis-jewsons-buildbase etc thinking of trying selco.

Sponsored Links
sometimes they are flexible on bulk buying but most of the time they aren't.

Used them a few times, good basic product range, good quality timber, not overpriced like a lot of places and they have decent monthly specials.
Staff product knowledge isn't up to much but doesn't need to be as most customers are trade and know what they want and what to do with it.

Some of Selcos prices are great, most are crap. We have a toolstation next to our selco and I use them more.

Selco have a bizarre sheet material cutting cost. You get two free cuts regardless of the amount of sheets. Not two free cuts per sheet

I did ask what was to stop me getting a sheet cut twice- paying- walking back in and then buying another sheet and repeating the process.

In the end the bloke used a chisel marker pen, didn't allow for blade thickness and even jammed the wall saw's blade.

Overall the timber seems fine but I would recomend that you select it in store for delivery rather than just phoning.

As mentioned they are trade only but I know people that just printed off stationery and opened an account.

I just showed them an unopened business bank account statement

Sponsored Links
Some other merchants allow you to open a "self-build" account. Often gives you better discount and payable end of month.
It might automatically lapse if you don't use it for a few months.
I've found it's worth phoning round for most bulk purchases.
I find Selco OK for the bits I want 'off-the-shelf'. As someone has already posted the staff aren't particularly knowledgable.
I also use a 'TradePro' card which can be used at Selco & others. Again it gives you free credit until the end of the month. Expensive as a credit card!!!!! :evil:

I have been using selco alot lately and have found them to be loads better on price the travis, jewsons and buildbase.
The best thing is you don't have to negotiate a fair price everytime you buy something which i find really annoying :mad: why do the builders merchants mark everything up so high they must feel us tradesmen and women are stupid and will pay it.
BnQ trade counter and selco for me now on i'm fed up with the friendly builders merchant sales people trying to rip me off :evil:

Ahh thats better.

yeah selco are fine and competitive if you speak to the manager .
only down side the only stock rugby rubbish cement , god i hate that stuff

No but i did pay £10.00 for a can of wd-40 at jewson a little while back (needed it in a hurry) only to see the same can in screwfix for £3.50 a few days later.

I had a similar experience - went to buy some timber and found they wanted to charge three times the price that I knew B&Q were selling the same timber for (9 miles away)

I asked them to price match, and the chap didn't bat an eyelid and just keyed in a 65% discount for me.

I'm about to spend 2k on materials (blocks, sand, lintels, etc) and wonder how to go about it - attempt to open self build or fake trade accounts and see who gives me the most discount, or just be honest about it and get comparative quotes and see who quotes the lowest price.

Gary

gary o if your spending 2k i'm pretty sure they wont care they will just want your money

Ok was a slight exageration it was £9 something including vat - i feel violated :evil:
Buildbase 2 rolls of 200mm loft insulation covering appx 8 sqm in total = £45.00 :oops: yup i was in a hurry and its the closest builders merchant.

Gary o think estate agent, banker, yellow pages sales rep etc and put trade counter sales staff near the top of the list, they will make you promises give you a couple of good deals and then over charge you go to selco mate at least there honest.

Sponsored Links
Back