Anything available to fill gaps in floorboards ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All the fillers I seem to see say will fill anything but then go on to say but not floorboard gaps.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Sponsored Links
How big are the gaps?
Are you sanding the floor or is this retro maintenance?
What have you tried and how has it failed?

A bit more info and I will try to help.

How big are the gaps?
1-2mm
Are you sanding the floor or is this retro maintenance?
Retro Maintenance
What have you tried and how has it failed?
Nothing yet as everthing i pick up says not for this application (but everything else!)

A bit more info and I will try to help.
Cheers

Hi
Normally gaps would be filled before sanding and then sanded back to be smooth and then over coated with a finish. Bona Mix and Fill good for 1-2mm gaps, if you can put up with the smell Lecol 5500 will do larger gaps up to 5mm, but both of these need the wood dust to be mixed in.

I have used a product once called Bona Parkett Repair [/url] http://bona.com/corporate/corporate/Products/Professional/BonaMaintenance/Bona-Parkett-Repair/ [/url] difficult to find a stockist, but as a coloured putty it would fill the gaps without the need for sanding.

As a thought, I was sure B & Q stocked a Ronseal version but I have not checked.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Floors bounce, and move due to foot traffic, moving furniture and weather expansion / contraction.

There no such thing as a product that can be guaranteed to with stand years of the (above) type of movement.

Best things is to take up boards and clamp then together to reduce the gaps. If you take the boards up you could add celotex insulation between the joist which will prevent air drafts.
You could also use the other side of the boards as the face thus showing new unmarked boards which will require about 10% of the sanding effort.

For gaps of up to 4mm I've used LECOL 7500 FILLER, mixed with the saw dust from sanding. I did it in 2004 and it still looks great. I have a through lounge and did the whole lot with it, with varying gaps, and none have deteriated. For gaps of 5mm upwards, I filled with bits of wood.

I have this gap problem and have just been told that plaster board adhesive does the job especialy if a bit of cement is added.

Any thoughts out there??

I have this gap problem and have just been told that plaster board adhesive does the job especialy if a bit of cement is added.

Any thoughts out there??
i would laugh a lot there :LOL:
i can only imagine a plaster was messy and decided it worked in filling gaps lol

plaster and cement are well know for being flexible and and compressible :eek:

wood move with differences in moisture content so you need somthing that will strech and compress

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back