apache 125cc motorcycle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My apache 125 battery keeps losing charge. i did think it was the battery so put a new one on. Still got the same problem. Lights go dim even when I am riding it. Even after a good run the battery is flat with not enough charge to turn the engine over. The manual I had with the bike is pretty naff.
Anyone got any ideas to what is wrong.. :?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
I'd start by checking what charges the battery - alternator or dynamo? What voltage does it put out across the battery terminals with the engine running?

x raptor.
hi i put a new battery on it 2 days ago and riding it this evening about 12 mile the lights were hardly visible by the time i got back?

Sponsored Links
Not sure - but doesn't matter yet. Try measuring the voltage across the battery with the bike running and post back what voltage you get.

Try the workshop manual from here

Use the mirror.

Page 148 onwards :D

the bike runs without a battery i just have to kick start it but this means i have no lights indicators or cannot start with electric start i spoke with a friend today who thinks the voltage regulator might be at fault because its not putting the right charge back into the battery could this be true???

Have you decided not to take this excellent advice, then?

Not sure - but doesn't matter yet. Try measuring the voltage across the battery with the bike running and post back what voltage you get.

And not to answer this question?
Does the battery go flat while the bike is parked up, or when you are riding it?

apologies for the delay been at work.

I've just tested the connections to the battery and they are registering between 13 and 14 volts on the tester?

I am in the process of charging up my newer battery, however both batteries went flat while I was riding the bike.

Is that "the voltage across the battery with the bike running" ?

What is the difference in voltage with engine running/engine stopped?

thats with the engine running and the battery not connected thats just the reading from the connections where the battery should be?

no load (no battery connected) voltage may vary wildly. Let us know, when you haver refitted a battery, what the voltage is with engine running and stopped, and what happens with lights on/off for a couple of minutes.

BTW does you meter tell you if that is an AC or a DC voltage?

Also, check the earth connection onto the frame - if tegh bike is oild and/or rusty and/or neglected you may have a poor connection. Folow the wires from the battery compartment to see where they go. Alternator is probably attached to the aluminium crankcase, may be in a cylindrical enclosure as part of the main casting.

When did this problem start, or has it been like that since you bought the bike?

Have you downloaded the service manual & looked at the page I mentioned?

It details the tests for this problem.

thanks for all your helps its all fixed now it was a corroded connection block on the wiring loom cheers :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back