Apollo 15/30B Boiler - BG suggest change - limited parts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, would really appreciate some advice,

My parents have an Apollo 15/30B Boiler which has been serviced and covered by BG for the past 15 years. BG have just done the service and advised that the boiler should be replaced as it is obsolete and they only have limited parts available. There is currently nothing wrong with the boiler and it works fine.

I can see various internet sites offering spares so wondered whether it is just BG not holding the spares or whether the spares really are no longer available. My gut feel is to stick with the boiler for now.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Many parts are listed as obsolete on the Baxi website, but important ones, like the gas valve, are still avalable.

I think your gut feeling is correct: keep it until it can't be economically repaired.

Some spares definitely are obsolete on these, I've had to shut a few off in the past myself. But if its working fine and safe, and you dont mind when it eventually does pack in waiting to get a new boiler fitted then its no problem.

I've a few customers with Myson Apollo boiler we fitted donkeys years ago & still service them. As stated all the major parts are still available for them & most of the minor parts.

What you must understand with the large service companies if 'puter says no', then you've no chance. Also, most of their fitters are on a large commission to sell new boilers.

Sponsored Links
Also, most of their fitters are on a large commission to sell new boilers.
Get your facts right. We don't receive a commission, large or small, based on the sale of a new boiler.
We get a small gratuity for arranging a surveyor appointment. Makes no odds whether the customer accepts the quote or not.

Also to the OP as BG are regulated by the FCA we have to advise when parts are becoming obsolete and also your appliances efficiency. This is so that we remain compliant with FCA guidelines.

PP....do this is the CC if you like, but what FCA guidelines on efficiency are these?

We all know SEDBUK is a load of diseased Horse's rectal deposits, I'd love to hear wh a t the FCA have to add to the subject :LOL:

Many thanks for all the replies - most helpful.

The reason I originally started this thread was because of my own experience with BG. I should start by saying that I have had a BG service contract on my own heating for some 25 years and have always been very happy indeed with their service. However, BG told me that my own boiler (warm air) should be changed around 6 years ago, stating that many parts were no longer available. I contacted the manufacturer direct only to be told that parts would be available for at least another 10 years! I went back to BG and was told that the engineer who called had made a mistake - some of the parts were no longer held by BG but were still covered and could be sourced if required.

So, whilst I think BG offer a great service, I just wanted to check that the same 'mistake' had not been made.

Thanks again for your help.

petite Dont hide behind the FCA as you know that is a recent thing it has been a standard thing for BG to send out letters when boiler is ten year old saying parts maybe difficult to obtain since about 1996 hoping to panic people into changing boiler

Well the heat exchanger is obsolete for a start.....there's not much else in a B to worry about.

Problem with BG lads is they see the headline saying parts are obsolete but almost never check which ones. The majority of the time its fancy fixings or the outer case that's obsolete and all the worky bits are still there.

The OP might want to check with the manufacturer for what is and isn't available if he is worried about it.

Also, FCA guidelines should only count on contracts that are affected by the FCA.....plenty of customers still on the old style contracts I'm sure.

My parents have an Apollo 15/30B Boiler which has been serviced and covered by BG for the past 15 years. BG have just done the service and advised that the boiler should be replaced as it is obsolete and they only have limited parts available. There is currently nothing wrong with the boiler and it works fine.

I can see various internet sites offering spares so wondered whether it is just BG not holding the spares or whether the spares really are no longer available. My gut feel is to stick with the boiler for now.

Many thanks

Most of the 'so called' heating engineers on this forum are in competition with BG.

These 'so called' engineers are very very quiet at the moment so they come onto sites like this during office hours to bitch and moan about BG because they have nothing better to do once Jeremy Kyle is finished.

I've repaired x3 apollos this week so the smaller parts ie pilot tops, thermocouples, seals etc are available. But the larger parts are now oblsolete.

So your BG engineer isn't trying to rip you off he's just doing his job ie. offering advice.

Considering 99% of breakdowns on apollo`s are down to the smaller avialable parts then it is bad advise

Many thanks

Most of the 'so called' heating engineers on this forum are in competition with BG.

These 'so called' engineers are very very quiet at the moment so they come onto sites like this during office hours to **** and moan about BG because they have nothing better to do once Jeremy Kyle is finished.

I've repaired x3 apollos this week so the smaller parts ie pilot tops, thermocouples, seals etc are available. But the larger parts are now oblsolete.

So your BG engineer isn't trying to rip you off he's just doing his job ie. offering advice.

Eh, straight to Spec Savers 'cowboy in a polo shirt', I posted at 7.29pm hardly office hours. By the way, we're very, very busy at the minute. It's not always the case, but we never need to pull the wool over some OAP eyes to get a boiler sale....;)

Aren't you due for another ban, how many user names have you got now 4-5?

Still posting on the screwfix forum or did you get kicked off that as well?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back