Apollo 15/30B boiler High/Low switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I Have an Apollo 1530 B boiler which although it is getting on a bit, works like a dream.

I replaced a thermo and an electrode when I bought the property 4 years ago.

However what is the Hi / Lo switch used for ? When I switch it to High the jets get fierce and seeem to want to escape from under the boiler cover, (thats the best way to describe it) is this normal, or does my Apollo think it is an Apollo space rocket ??.

Advice would be greatly apprciated, the boiler as I have said works fine but I leave the switch on Low.

Sponsored Links
The high/low switch just switches between the two thermostats on the flow pipe.

High will give a flow temp of around 82 degrees and low perhaps 70 degrees.

It should not make any differnece to the flame appearance.

You may find with the boiler on high it sounds like a kettle about to boil (apollos are getting on a bit)

The Apollo is actually a very efficient boiler for its type i.e. non-condensing.

I always advise people to keep it if its still working well and safe unless they can economically justify a new condensing boiler.

Most I find are operating adequately on the low setting.

Its possibly that your pump speed/flow rate are not high enough for the high setting.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Dont assume that anything is safe when a CORGI engineer has not inspected it !!!

Even Mission Control has had fatal consequences from operating "O" ring seals below the design temperature!

Tony

Point taken, I will get a corgi inspection done asap, any ideas how much it will cost ? Is £90 about right.

£60 should cover a service and safety check.

Some apollo heat exchangers are very clogged and cleaning is a slow, boring and dusty job (with a mask on).

Occasionally the pilot refuses to play ball afterwards and the overheat stat, thermocouple and top socket require replacement as well. (about £30)

A lung full of alluminium oxide does taste horrible.

Is that what it is?

David

When I switch it to High the jets get fierce and seem to want to escape from under the boiler cover
Hey that's a very bad thing - don't use it at all until you've had it fixed. It probably isn't working fine on Low either, you wouldn't necessarily see it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back