Appalling Water in New Flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am just about to move in to a 1 bedroom flat which is my first home. I have been sanding the floors there, and whilst there have noticed that the water pressure is shockingly bad. I don’t know how the people there before could have washed! It is strange as the place is in generally good condition.

In the bathroom the toilet takes ages to re-fill, the shower/bath has dreadful pressure as does the sink. However in the kitchen the cold water DOES have good pressure, however the hot is very weak. I wondered if it was caused by the boiler being off, so did test this by switching on for a full day, but no improvement.

It is a ground floor flat with the cold water tank located in a cupboard on the same floor. The boiler looks very standard i.e. it is not a combi. We are certainly looking to replace everything at some point, but we are stoney broke now as have just paid all the fees for moving/buying!

My question is, what are the quick fix options for now and what would be best for the long term. I am guessing a combi boiler would be great, particularly as it would free up loads of storage space, which is badly needed.

Thanks,

Alex

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your mains pressure is fine. As you suggest, a combi would give you good hot water pressure too (albeit at a lowish flow rate) and would probably be an excellent choice for a small flat.

There aren't really any quick fixes for this because the low pressure is caused by the low height of the cold water tank.
As you've guessed a combi boiler is your best bet, this supplies hot water at mains pressure.

Before choosing a combi to be installed the dynamic flow rate from the mains needs to be measured!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Presumably there must have been a better flow at some point with the existing set-up. Is there anything I can do to return it to this state? Could it be air blockage or something that needs doing to the boiler? Are there any simple fixes to the shower fittings themselves?

Cheers

Alex

It's common for people to fit the wrong type of taps to low pressure systems, which drastically reduces the flow.
This wouldn't affect the shower though, presumably you have an electric one which should be supplied from the mains anyway. Check the head isn't blocked or the hose isn't collapsed internally.

Hi,

Thanks Sooey, what are the right sort of taps for low pressure systems? This sounds like an option. I will check the hose and shower head. It is not a mains fed shower, there is no electric shower box, it is just fed by the hot water supplied by the boiler.

Do you ever have to bleed a boiler, or top it up? I wonder if this would help?

Thanks,

Alex

Slow filling loo cistern might be improved by fitting a float valve designed for low pressure supplies, assuming one's not fitted already.

Most old-style taps are suitable for low pressures. A lot of the modern , quarter-turn ones aren't.

C.

Hi,

I wonder if a combi might improve the situation given the mains seems ok. I have bought a new flush mechanism, good for low pressure, so will fit that soon.

T23

You can buy a negative head whole hose pump to boost the system you have saves ripping out the boiler and taps seems you have just brought the flat, they do generate a bit of noise but go for a quality one like Stuart turner and there not to bad just a idea to add to the mix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back