Apparently my shed wasn't rough sawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just built a playhouse from a kit for my toddler. Looks great and I painted it (very carefully I may add) with two colours of shed and fence paint. It was for rough sawn wood as that's what I thought I had, however... The paint looks ok in most places but if you run it lightly with a damp cloth it comes straight of - on some parts where the rain runs down it's come off completely.

I'm wondering how to rectify - can I use some sort of outdoor wood varnish to 'seal' it, or get the right type of wood paint (NOT for rough sawn timber). Really don't want to have to take it back to bare wood!

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
if the wood is treated you wont get teh paint to take hold until its weathered for 6 months.

shed and fence paint

you mean paint?

not water-based stain?

if it has already been treated with a water-repellent coating that leaves a waxy film, water-based treatments will not stick. until, as @sxturbo says, the first treatment has weathered away.

oil coatings will take longer.

if the wood is treated you wont get teh paint to take hold until its weathered for 6 months.

you mean paint?

not water-based stain?

if it has already been treated with a water-repellent coating that leaves a waxy film, water-based treatments will not stick. until, as @sxturbo says, the first treatment has weathered away.

oil coatings will take longer.

Ahh thanks both - this makes sense. I just looked at the product and it is described as 'treatment'. So I think I need to look at an oil based paint.

I actually looked at a coloured bitumen paint but with the drying time, the fact they stay tacky for weeks and that they seem to smell for ages, I've been put off but don't doubt it would keep the water out!

Sponsored Links
i don't think waxy film is suitable for oil paint either.

you can blast it off with a pressure sprayer

but by the time warm weather is back it may have eroded away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back