Appeal dismissed on a 'technicality'...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My appeal has been dismissed; and I am trying to understand my next step.

The main issues were:
 Whether proposal would be inappropriate development in the Green Belt, and harm the openness of the Green Belt [we all agree it would].
 If inappropriate, whether harm would be clearly outweighed by other considerations, such as to amount to the very special circumstances necessary to justify the development [this is the crux of the issue].

Other considerations
The appellants have provided detailed evidence concerning a fallback comprising a two storey rear extension, which benefits from a PD rear extension and a 2-storey side extension with gable to hip roof alteration and rear dormer, which has extant planning permission (‘permitted scheme’). Given the expressed need for additional family accommodation, and that a Building Notice has been submitted for those schemes, I consider that there is a reasonable likelihood that the fallback would be implemented were I to dismiss the appeal.

The PD extension would be similar in height to this scheme, taken in isolation its impact on the Green Belt would therefore be less harmful than this scheme. However, in combination with the permitted scheme it would result in substantial 2-storey extensions to the rear and side, which, would have a greater overall bulk than this proposal, and would be more harmful to the Green Belt.

The appellants state that, should the appeal be allowed, the permitted scheme would not be built. That, they suggest, could be controlled by an ‘either/or’ condition stating that the appeal scheme shall not be carried out in addition to the permitted scheme.

The implementation of an existing permission cannot be prevented by a condition attached to a subsequent permission. I have concerns that were I to impose an ‘either/or’ condition along the lines suggested, I am not persuaded that it would be effective in preventing the implementation of both this scheme and the permitted scheme. Consequently, notwithstanding the cited appeal decision,
I consider that a binding obligation rather than an ‘either/or’ condition would be an appropriate mechanism to prevent the implementation of the permitted scheme.​

So the inspectors concluded it was possible to build my fallback, that it was likely that I would build it, and that the fallback it was more harmful than the original application. Tick, tick, tick.

But my proposal hinged upon not doing the side extension (i.e. a larger rear extension instead of a PD rear & permitted side) with a planning condition used to secure this. The Inspector has rejected the use of a planning condition but implied that a 'binding obligation' could be suitable.

Does anyone have any experience/examples of a binding obligation used by an applicant?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to appear rude, but without any further details photos, or explanation of the circumstance behind this storey, that is all it is, a storey.

Sounds like the inspector just thinks a legal agreement is required to ensure that the permitted development scheme is not built. If so maybe you just need to re-submit the scheme to the council under a new application with an accompanying unilateral undertaking which would ensure that the PD works and the scheme proposed under the planning application cannot be built. May be worth getting your planning agent / solicitor to agree the wording of the agreement before you submit.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to appear rude, but without any further details photos, or explanation of the circumstance behind this storey, that is all it is, a storey.
A summary of the situation is as follows:
  • We wish to extend our detached, greenbelt property by approx +85% from original.
  • The council tends to limit development to +35% increase in the greenbelt.
  • We applied for a 2-storey side extension (+35%) — approved.
  • And then a 3m 2-storey rear extension under PD (+65%) — agreed.
  • [Combined these would give us a 2-storey rear & side extension with +100% increase].
  • However, we feel that a c4m rear extension (+85%), without any side extension, would be a better design.
  • Therefore, we applied for a 2-storey 3.8m rear extension (+82%) agreeing to the inclusion of a condition that the permitted side extension wouldn't be built, using the rear & side as a fallback to demonstrate special circumstances to justify +82% in the green belt (i.e. +82% is less harmful to greenbelt than +100%) — refused (as LBC felt that the fallback was neither allowed, nor likely to be built).
  • We appealed — Inspector agreed that fallback was possible, likely and more harmful, however, didn't believe that a 'condition' was enforceable (and needed to ensure we didn't build both side extension & a larger rear extension), but implied that a legal obligation could be used?

I understand we would resubmit our original application with the inclusion of a legal obligation. If we can get the legal obligation correct we hope that the council would have to approve based upon the inspectors decision.

I am after interested in whether anyone has used a legal obligation [or knows of any planning application that relied upon one] so I can see the wording / legal form used.

I have included a plan. Green is Permitted Side Extension, Yellow is Agreed Rear 3m PD, Orange (+Yellow) is desired 3.8m scheme. Grey is to be demolished.

Capture_Spindleberry.JPG

Last edited:
Despite some moot debate, there is no next step. Unless you are going for a judicial review (in which case you need to post on www.DIYbarrister.com) there is nothing else to do except change your plans to address the council's and inspector's concerns.
The inspector's concerns were the legal instrument to remove our right to subsequently build an extant permission for a side extension. I am therefore trying to gather more info on cases where this has been successfully done previously.

Sounds like the inspector just thinks a legal agreement is required to ensure that the permitted development scheme is not built. If so maybe you just need to re-submit the scheme to the council under a new application with an accompanying unilateral undertaking which would ensure that the PD works and the scheme proposed under the planning application cannot be built. May be worth getting your planning agent / solicitor to agree the wording of the agreement before you submit.
Yes, I think that is my only option. I am trying to understand more about the use of a unilateral undertaking (what it is, what wording might be used, examples of where it has been used).

If you are minded to agree to a unilateral undertaking (ie a s106 agreement) then you need to talk with the planners to see what they want, and then get a Solicitor or suchlike legal person to draft up the agreement.

But avoid ceding to every whim of the planners, as this will go on the land as a legal charge, and so will impact on the property and future desirability/value so you need to be clear on the impact and wording.

If you are minded to agree to a unilateral undertaking (ie a s106 agreement) then you need to talk with the planners to see what they want, and then get a Solicitor or suchlike legal person to draft up the agreement.

But avoid ceding to every whim of the planners, as this will go on the land as a legal charge, and so will impact on the property and future desirability/value so you need to be clear on the impact and wording.
I don't understand how a an agreement would work. Are s106s not normally bilateral? Can I prepare a unilateral agreement without the councils consent?

In which case I would (I suppose) prepare an agreement that bound me not to build my extant side extension should I be granted permission & build a rear extension???

Does this sound plausible?

In which case I would (I suppose) prepare an agreement that bound me not to build my extant side extension should I be granted permission & build a rear extension???

And then what's to stop your wife building the extension, or the people you sell the house to?

this will go on the land as a legal charge, and so will impact on the property and future desirability/value so you need to be clear on the impact and wording.

Pay attention to that. Charges on the property are not normally a good thing to have.

Thanks for you input, Woody.

I am assuming that it could be sufficiently specific as not to be an issue.
i.e. Planning permission 16/P/xxxxx can not be built if the current application is approved & built.

If the rear extension is approved/built then for me it is no problem not building the side extension. The large rear replaces the need for a side extension (and I won't have funds for another extension). If I did want to add a side extension (I don't) then I could apply for a similar-ish one under a different application.

And I assume that the permission will expire after 3 years (Jan-20), and with it the legal charge would effectively be null & void. I intend to live at the property for >3yrs.

I am moving forward with a unilateral undertaking.

How do these normally reference the planning application they are going to be submitted with — As when submitted, the planning App No. will not yet been determined?

When submitting a planning application do all docs have to be submitted with the initial application, or can the applicant submit further documents during the process? Similar to the third parties submitting correspondence?

Thanks

I think there is some confusion here in how a unilateral undertaking if formed.

Often UU's are used for standard things set by the LPA's policy, therefore the LPA will have a suitable template (e.g. for paying affordable housing contributions). However if they do not you will need the LPA to draft a bespoke one (most likely they will charge the cost for doing so to you).

The writing up of a bespoke UU is not something you do yourself - as the LPA will need to ensure it us drafted properly it will be done by their solicitors. You then simply agree to it.

As you have an appeal decision basically saying the scheme is acceptable as long as the UU exists, what you are perhaps best to do next is to re-submit the planning application and get the LPA to write up the UU and you to sign it.

I don't believe in this instance it will matter whether you submit the application or get the UU drafted first.

I would perhaps submit the application with a brief planning statement/covering letter saying "following the appeal decision... the application is resubmitted which was deemed acceptable subject to a suitable UU, which the applicant is willing to enter into a UU and request the LPA suitably form" - and then once submitted to chase up the case officer to get this sorted.

If they do the UU and then still refuse the application you should stand a good chance at appeal based on what you have said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back