Permitted developement rules

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning folks. I have a property on green belt. The original house is shown in Red. The Yellow is an old extension which will be removed. Would anybody know if i am right in thinking that i can extend to the rear as shown under the neighbourhood consultation scheme, and behind my permitted developement side extension providing that my rear entension, and rear side extension do not touch each other. ie. an 11mm gap between them. Check out the picture attached. Many thanks in advance. James

Attachments

• floor plan.jpg
    floor plan.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 347
Sponsored Links
On your plan what does the far left green rectangle represent! I presume the purple is the proposed rear extension?

My understanding of permitted development* is that the space taken by a single storey extension (including existing other outbuildings) cannot exceed 50% of the land around the original footprint of the house as it was in 1948.

The width of the side extension has a maximum of 50% of the original houses width. (Which I think your plan indicates ?)

I can’t see how deep the rear extension is but on a detached the limit is 4m unless neighbours agreement is gained through the neighbour consultation process (ours is 5m due to a canopy and we had to get this approval from both sets of neighbours)

I’m unclear where you get the point that the additional extension has to have an 11mm gap?

* not a professional but we used PD for our extension which is currently underway

Thanks for the reply Buck. The Two purple bits at the rear are 8m deep, and would be done under neighbourhood consultation. My understanding is that the smaller purple one is a side extension, and if it didn't have a gap, and became connected to the rear extension, it would not comply ? Hope your extension goes well.

Why are you removing the yellow? I presume there will be no inner courtyard - so you will replace/so the left purple will need to bigger to cover the space left by the yellow.

IMO PD rules are pretty unclear about rear extensions that touch a wall that can be deemed a side wall. As is the case with your rear right purple extension (which touches a side wall of the original red house) - these can be deemed non-PD (but it appears to be open to the interpretation of the local planning dept).

There aren't clear dimensions but I would guess it is also too deep - it can only be 4m max (not 4m stepped).

Sponsored Links
The NCS does not apply in many sensitive areas:

* Land within a National Park, the Broads, an area of outstanding natural beauty, an area
designated as a conservation area and land within World Heritage Sites

https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploads/1app/guidance/guidance_note-larger_home_extension.pdf

Does 'Greenbelt' always fall within one of these definitions??? I am not sure if the NCS is intended for what may be open countryside. But I am just asking the question.

IMO PD rules are pretty unclear about rear extensions that touch a wall that can be deemed a side wall.

No they're not, if it's attached to a side wall then the rules pertinent to a side extension apply as well as the rules for an extension attached to a rear wall.

The NCS does not apply in many sensitive areas:

* Land within a National Park, the Broads, an area of outstanding natural beauty, an area
designated as a conservation area and land within World Heritage Sites

https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploads/1app/guidance/guidance_note-larger_home_extension.pdf

Does 'Greenbelt' always fall within one of these definitions??? I am not sure if the NCS is intended for what may be open countryside. But I am just asking the question.

Permitted Development rules are allowable within the green belt.
Often you can get bigger extensions to a house using p.d. rules, than you can if you apply for plannig permission, as many councils have strict volume limits when extending houses within the GB.

No they're not, if it's attached to a side wall then the rules pertinent to a side extension apply as well as the rules for an extension attached to a rear wall.

But the way that rule is applied by the local planners is very inconsistent, perhaps that's what RichA meant.

Thank you all very much for you replies. The Red is the original house. The purple section directly behind the house is 8 mt deep, and would come under neighbourhood consultation. The yellow is an old lean to, that will be removed. The green to the left of the houese is 1/2 the width of the house and as deep as the original house so would be permitted developement, and the purple behind the green, which would not be attached to the other purple NCS, but would have an 11 mm gap between the two would according to my understanding be NCS... ?????? The other large green part would be a detached 4 car garage. Altogether, it would be way less than 50% of the plot. Thanks again for all your help.

@op, with regard to your 11mm gap; I think you will struggle to get this accepted as permitted development with such a tiny gap between extensions. There are a number of planning appeal cases which decided that gaps larger than that (eg150mm and 250mm) are not acceptable to class the extensions as separate. You would probably need a gap which is accessible, eg 750mm or above.
(the situation is different with curtilage buildings which are completely detached, where in one instance a gap as small as 16mm has been declared compliant).

Thanks for your reply Tony. Bugger ! I dont actually want to build that, but i do want to know what i could build, so that i have a bit of ammo for the Parish, and local council. As the green would be permitted developement, i doubt that i could apply for the NCS accross the whole back ? What about if i built the green first ?

Sorry Tony. Just realised that the Green would be built after 1948, so that puts that idea to sleep.

Permitted Development rules are allowable within the green belt.
Often you can get bigger extensions to a house using p.d. rules, than you can if you apply for plannig permission, as many councils have strict volume limits when extending houses within the GB.

Cheers tony, there is a good guide for what you are saying here. You are right in saying there is greenbelt that is not a conservation area.

https://www.2pm-architects.co.uk/permitted-development-guidance/

Cheers tony, there is a good guide for what you are saying here. You are right in saying there is greenbelt that is not a conservation area.

https://www.2pm-architects.co.uk/permitted-development-guidance/

Interesting link. I had a look around their website, very good I thought. Then going through their portfolio looked at the "Surrey Extension" project. They talk about maximising client's options to extend under permitted development as property was in the Green Belt and Council would not give planning permission for any extensions.

They got approval, I assume an LDC, for a 2 storey rear extension and single storey side extension. The trouble is as far as I can see it is not permitted development as the side and rear extensions are joined. Curious?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back